• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INDD preview images not being displayed

Participant ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has actually gone on forever with all of my Adobe programs where although my preferences are set to save a preview image for INDD and PS, it never does. All I get are the program icons.

I've just updated INDD to the subscription version and this is still an issue. Now it is REALLY bugging me that instead of document previews all I get is the program icons.

(My OS is the current version of Windows 10.)

What must I do to get the programs to save and dispaly preview images in their folders?

Please and thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

What Bob said. The point of the previews being saved with the file is to view them in Adobe Bridge in its Preview panel. Nothing new was added/changed when CC (the subscription model) was released. The good news is that you can just keep Bridge open all the time, and use it as an alternative or in addition to Windows Explorer (or the Mac Finder). I think the fact that neither OS can show previews of INDD files is a limitation of the OS; they're private file formats, unlike TIFF, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those previews work in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Bob said. The point of the previews being saved with the file is to view them in Adobe Bridge in its Preview panel. Nothing new was added/changed when CC (the subscription model) was released. The good news is that you can just keep Bridge open all the time, and use it as an alternative or in addition to Windows Explorer (or the Mac Finder). I think the fact that neither OS can show previews of INDD files is a limitation of the OS; they're private file formats, unlike TIFF, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both, appreciate your input.

I have never used Bridge, when it first came out it did not suit my system of organization. My work flow for everything is from my folders so at the time Bridge seemed an unnecessary extra step and time lost waiting for everything to load. I'll check it out to see if I feel differently about it now.

That said, it still seems odd that Adobe programs don't display file previews in the system when just about every other program I can think of does. It sure would be more convenient.

Thanks again for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Longtime user and saving file precview always worked on IOS until recently. Since going to latest update of InDesign it no longer works in my desktop folders.  By the way, my IOS is not blocking preview.  I see all the file previews stored from the past in my IOS. So there is something missing in the "SAVE" process. I do not use Bridge ot view my design folders, I use bridge for image managmeent paired with PhotoShop. It's inconvenient to have to go into Bridge to grab InDesign files simply so that I can see the preview. This Previw Saving glitch might be somthing you'd want to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Bridge solution doesn't seem to work for me.... I can bring it into Bridge on the left-hand column, but it can't be dragged into the Preview window. How exactly can you view the file in Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines