• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INDD Table- Can you autoflow changing the cell height

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for the extra space in the cell height to disappear and auto-move up the cell bellow? So January is say one line of white text. The Feb. moves up and since it only has two lines of text- March & April shift up. 

Same thing with May, August, and October- lots of unnecessary white space due to the overall row height. 

I can adjust the row height- but I really want to shift the individual cell heights. It would be fine to do it manually since it is only a few cells... but even better if there is a way to have it autoflow, removing all the extra white space. I realize that will make for an uneven distribution, I might be fine with that. 

Has anyone done this before and know if it is possible?

SnowOwl_0-1674228939253.png

SnowOwl_1-1674229423804.png

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Hi, in InDesign, the rows do not break, which means the cells of the same row maintain the same height.

In you cace, I would 'fake it'.

I would be tempetd to try this:

• Get the text in a single story, for example: type the month with a Paragraph style that formats the text to look like a coloured box with text in the middle and use rulers to add the horizontal lines. Main text formatted in a different paragraph style. 
  • Place the text in a text frame with 3 columns. The month P format can force a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in InDesign, the rows do not break, which means the cells of the same row maintain the same height.

In you cace, I would 'fake it'.

I would be tempetd to try this:

• Get the text in a single story, for example: type the month with a Paragraph style that formats the text to look like a coloured box with text in the middle and use rulers to add the horizontal lines. Main text formatted in a different paragraph style. 
  • Place the text in a text frame with 3 columns. The month P format can force a start at the top of the next column instead of breaking across columns.
  • Your Master page (Parent) can have the vertical lines 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That is a good thought. My next step was to remove the table... but since that was handed to us as part of the template, I was trying to work within their given materials... but I couldn't see how to do it without writing a script, maybe. 

I appreciate your recommendation and I think for time's sake I will jump back into no table. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SnowOwl_0-1674236196898.png

Dropping it into a 3 column format. Fast to copy all text and then do a Paragraph style for the headers and brillant for doing the lines in the master page- I hadn't thought of that. not done- but a quick solution for the rough draft. Thanks Eric. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's no longer a 3x column table 😉

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is 100% correct, Robert!

But... it is a rough draft on a tight deadline and subject to a lot of changes, so I am going with it works for today! 

I am guessing a script could be written to eliminate white space in a table while shifting everything up... but that one is beyond my ability today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you shift cells in columns vertically - it's no longer a "table" - it's just "boxed" representation of some information - which could be even harder to achieve than text flowing in multiple columns. 

But of course - everything depends on the end goal 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to tell me how to achieve what I was going for in a table Robert. I'm always happy to learn for the next time, and it sounds like you know how to do it. Maybe share?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you need a header and undivided frame around the body - then you have two options:

1a) one long table with alternate CellStyles - header + body,

1b) multiple two-row tables - either with alternate CellStyles or tables with a header,

2) multiple anchored groups of TextFrames - header + body.

If text under the header can span between columns - then you've already figured it out 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines