• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDeisign 17 page deletion issue

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve been using InDesign for a few years, so I’m not a newby but not an expert. I’m having a strange problem with version 17 on a Mac (Big Sur), which I never had with earlier versions. I’m working on a book that is around 210 pages long. I flowed the text (from a Word doc) into InDesign without any problems, and applied styles, did copyediting, etc. All good. Then I added a few blank pages at the beginning of the document for the front matter–title page, table of contents, dedication, etc. After adding content to these pages, I noticed there were still a few extra blank pages between the front matter and the body of the text. When I tried to delete these pages, the problems started. For example, if I delete the spread on pages 6-7, duplicate pages are added to the beginning and a spread at the very end of the document is deleted. I’ve tried unchecking the “Allow Selected Spread to Reshuffle” option, but it doesn’t fix the problem. Any ideas out there about what’s going on?

Thanks

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Hi @TL99:

Thank you for sharing the file. I just had the chance to take a look. 

Are you trying to remove the content on 6 & 7 from the document? In that situation, highlight the content on both pages with the Type tool and press Backspace or Delete. This will remove the existing content and everything in the document will move up two pages to close the gap.

If I'm misunderstanding the question of course, please clarify. I have your file so it won't take me long to give you an answer.

~B

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might check Preferences > Smart Text Reflow and turn it off. Also, make sure you don't have non-printing characters lurking after the story, such as paragraph returns, etc. Last character in the text flow should be #, the end of story character. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TL99:

Are you using primary frames with Smart text reflow enabled in Preferences > Type? If so, adding and deleting pages gets very confusing because InDesign needs manipulate the number of pages to keep the text from becoming overset. It feels like it has a mind of its own sometimes. I think enabling View > Extras > Show Text Threads makes it easier to see what is going on. 

If that doesn't help, come back and let us know and we can offer additional information.

~Barb

Edit: Sorry @Diane Burns . I was trying to recreate the problem—and couldn't—so my answer came in a little late. Wasn't trying to duplicate your answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. I turned off Preferences > Smart Text Reflow and deleted all the extra characters at the end of the document, but the behavior is exactly the same. When I delete a spread on pages 6-7, the content I was trying to delete is duplicated on new pages and a spread at the very end of the document is deleted. I also turned on View > Extras > Show Text Threads, which appears to show a sequential set of links from the beginning to the end of the document. Anything else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to "heal" publication through idml? 

Save file as idml, open this idml and save as new indd and try again. Is this bug is alive after that manipulations?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David,

I just tried saving as idml then indd. And I have the same problem. Then I reinstalled ID 16.4 and tried it again and I'm having the same problem in that version as well. When I tried to delete pages in 16.4 I got the message "The affected pages contain objects. Delete anyway?" I also turned off the "Allow pages / spreads to reshuffle option" in 16.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought from reading your exact description: you do know that content and page frames are not (necessarily) linked? That is, deleting a spread or its text frames from the middle of a flowing story will not delete the content of those frames — ID will do its magic to make room for that content on other pages.

The only time deleting a frame and deleting content is synchronous is when you delete a single, unlinked frame or all linked frames in a series (usually just a few).

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Is there a way to delete both pages and the content on those pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete all the content on those pages, even if it's just single paragraphs with page break etc. When there is no text between the points you want to save, the content should close up and leave the blank pages at the end, where you can delete them, frames and all.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TL99:

I am happy to look at the file, if you feel comfortable sharing it. You can put it on dropbox and post a link here (public) or click my name above this post and message it to me (private). Be sure to include the exact steps that you are following to produce this behavior.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Here's the link to the file in Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwfzeuxqtt104ru/Bachman%20Adobe%20REV.indd?dl=0

Here's what's going on: Note that the last page is 209. The spread I want to delete is pages 6-7. When I select the spread and hit delete pages 208-209 are deleted, not 6-7.

Thank you very much for taking a look at this!

TL99

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TL99:

Thank you for sharing the file. I just had the chance to take a look. 

Are you trying to remove the content on 6 & 7 from the document? In that situation, highlight the content on both pages with the Type tool and press Backspace or Delete. This will remove the existing content and everything in the document will move up two pages to close the gap.

If I'm misunderstanding the question of course, please clarify. I have your file so it won't take me long to give you an answer.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Using the TYPE tool to delete the content worked! It was as simple as that, thanks. I had been using the SELECT tool which didn't work. Thanks again.

TL99

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent, @TL99. We are always happy to help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines