• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 15.1 and 16 crashes every time on a document with 240 pages when changing fonts

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a 240 page docx document to indesign 15.1 and 16 (one is the version in my mac book pro, other is the latest version on my iMac). It keeps crashing… i don’t know what to do anymore… it crashes when changing fonts on “Find/Change Fonts” on the Type Menu. It crashes, when i delete part of the text, in the beginning of the book. I think he can’t handle the automatic re-order of the document itself, when automatically he have to delete pages and add other ones. Because the size of the document changes when i change a document font… I use InDesign in my editorial projects for over 15 years, and never encountered anything like this. i am a Creative Cloud subscriber so i have the latest version. Can you help me?… Best Regards, Rodrigo Madeira

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

I've tried some of yours solutions, but none worked. The only thing that worked was to open the original file (docx), remove all the images, and save it. Imported the new file and apply the styles to the several types of text. Cheers, Rodrigo Madeira

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to do is export to .idml and open that to see if it fixes the problem.

If not, you can try divide and canquer to see if you can locate a problem. Save a copy, then delete half the pages and see if it works. If it does, great, if not delete half the pages and try again. Repeat with any section that fails, dividing in half  until you isolate a single page, then use the same method on objects on the page.

Sounds like this could be a corrupt font problem though (and an indicator of that might be if niether half of a divide and conquer scheme passes). Are you using any questionable fonts (downloaded from free font sites, for example)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that thanks:) I'm using foundry fonts, bought by myself. I forgot to mentioned that i imported a docx with several photos inside as long as the text. Could this be the problem? I will try to import only the text first... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried some of yours solutions, but none worked. The only thing that worked was to open the original file (docx), remove all the images, and save it. Imported the new file and apply the styles to the several types of text. Cheers, Rodrigo Madeira

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rodrigo,

We're glad to hear your issue got resolved. We also apreciate you sharing the solution here. This will definitely help users in similar situation.

I'd also request you to try the suggestions given on this help article if you have such file related issues in future. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines