Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 16.3 Backspace issue

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I found a rather strange thing - bug maybe?

I have two versions of InDesign installed on Windows (Zenbook Pro Duo UX582) and in version 15.1.3 all keyboard works well but in 16.3 there's a problem with Backspace key - it's not working at all. Not working in On-Screen Keyboard, not working after forcing "Clear" shortcut to Backspace - it's like it doesn't exist for InDesign 16.3 or something is blocking it.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If every document try reset your preferences

Quit InDesign, then relaunch the application and immediately hold down the following key combinations for your OS:
Mac OS X: CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift.
Windows: CTL+ALT+Shift.

If it's just one document try File Export and choose IDML 

Open it up and resave it as an indesign file

See if problems persist.

You can use CC Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Or you can roll back to another version

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying.

Yes it is a a problem on app level not document. Resetting preferences didn't help.

I found that in 15.1.3 there was shortcut set to Backspace in Default and Text context - so the key was working. What I did is force the same in both versions now and it works that way, though not natively.

I give a try with rolling back - in some spare time.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPD:

After some hours of working the Backspace shortcut doesn't work anymore in Text context. I'm starting to know why I always prefered mac... I'll update if I find the reason behind this (if there's any). Meanwhile I'll stick to Delete button. Eh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. 

We have launched Adobe InDesign 16.4 recently with multiple bug fixes and performance improvement.

Please update your app to the latest version. Let us know if you still have any issues. We'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did update. No change. Neither after reinstalling and cleaning, resetting and rolling back as Eugene Tyson suggested above.

Shortcuts problems appeared because InDesign kept changing back to default keyboard shortcuts. Now they are working fine. Backspace key is set to "Clear" command and it works almost just fine as natively should.

I don't know for sure if it is ID's issue or machine specific or Windows fault. ID however is the only app that I use that is affected with this Backspace mistery. No time to dig for solution and check for reasons.

Thanks for your support and help. Case closed - I think.

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just for fun, but may be helps. Did you try to use another keyboard?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines