• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 16.4 breaks workspace

Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to 16.4, my workspace keeps resetting to Essentials. Every time I open a file, I have to reset to my preferred workspace. This is a return of a bug that happened when they first introduced the Properties panel. Resetting preferences did not solve the issue.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Did all the resets already. Haven't deleted and reinstalled yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going delete and reinstall you'll need the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uninstalled via the cleaner (the entire suite) and re-installed. Still broken. Every time I open a new file, it defaults to [Essentials] workspace. Super frustrating. No idea how to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I see you've tried troubleshooting including the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool as suggested earlier.

Please try creating a new user account on your machine(please follow steps here: Windows & macOS) & see how app performs there. If it shows similar behavior, please connect with Adobe technical support for further troubleshooting.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree @Ashutosh_Mishra - a new user account would be a good troubleshooting step to understand what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue too.  I've just got a brand new laptop (literally built at the end of August), installed a fresh version of InDesign on it (version 16.4) and I'm having this issue.  I wasn't having it on my old laptop which had an older version of Indesign on it (I believe approx 16.1?) 

These troubleshooting tips from Adobe have not been helping and I genuinely think this is a big with the version.  I'm tired of updating to the latest release only to be an unwilling beta-tester for all of their bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lauren,

I think I've been able to solve the issue by going into my User Library / Preferences / Indesign / Workspaces and deleting the "Essentials" workspace. Since doing that, my saved workspace is loading all the time. (the Essentials workspace gets recreated). Perhaps the workspace had become corrupted. Even though I ran all the cleaners some things seems to get left behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this didn't work for me either.  I thought I was onto something too.

I went into my user files and deleted them all, yet when opening indesign again it still did the same thing, however I noticed that it recreated the file named "Start_CurrentWorkspace"  So I had an Idea.  I made a copy of my workspace file, and renamed it to "Start_CurrentWorkspace".  It worked... except only once!  

When I opened indesign after copying and renaming my workstation, it worked the first time I opened inDesign and my workspace displayed perfectly.  When I closed InDesign however, I noticed that InDesign saved over the "Start_CurrentWorkspace" file (judging by the Date Modified time).  The next time I opened indesign, it was broken again and the workspace didn't appear properly.

I repeated the step again and same result.  So there's something that InDesign does after you open it, where it is resetting the "Start_CurrentWorkspace" file to a really basic version.  

I feel like this type of bug just should not be happening with a completely FRESH install of InDesign on a new laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lauren,

Is the "properties" panel part of your workspace? When they first introduced it I had this same issue (on a different computer). When I created a workspace without that panel, it loaded fine. Just a thought to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not 😞  I appreciate the tip though! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this issue re-occur after updating Suitcase Fusion and installing the auto-activation plugins. De-installed the plugins and was able to fix. Months later, updated Fusion and installed the plugins again (DOH!). Broke the workspace again and this time I'm unable to fix. Removed Indesign & Suitcase and reinstalled both. Still broken. I've created a shortcut to load my workspace, which I have to do everytime I open a file. If one document is open, the workspace will be retained, otherwise I have to load my workspace. Super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lauren

Figured out another workaround that seems to be holding:

In this directory:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign 2021/Presets/InDesign_Workspaces/en_US

copied my custom workspace twice and renamed:

Start.xml

Start_CurrentWorkspace.xml

Won't save changes over it, but if you've got it dialed the way you like, you can hack it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines