• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 16.X Crashes When Using Copy & Paste And Crashes When I Use Recovery Option. MacOSBigSur

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I recently upgraded my Mac OS to Big Sur V11.4. My full specs here:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

When using InDesign versions 16.X (16.0+ versions) or version 15.1.3 InDesign crashes anytime I try to use copy and paste. InDesign also crashes when I try to use the recovery function. I'm not sure what to do here, I'm new to InDesign but my gut feeling is telling me that the problem lies in OS incompatibility. 

Here the full crash report: [ Moderator: Crash dump removed, please use the file attachment method to add such large files. The crash report was slowing down loading of this thread dramatically ]

Any idea what I can do to fix this? Trying to finish a product for a client.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crash Thread is Attached Here. I've been trying to edit a branding kit template from adobe.stocks and I cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try resetting your InDesign preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

Delete InDesign preferences with shortcuts

You can delete the replaceable InDesign SaveData and InDesign Defaults files by holding down the following keys while InDesign is launching:

• Windows: Shift+Ctrl+Alt
  • Mac OS: Shift+Control+Option+Command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing is  you might need to turn off the GPU performance

go to the indesign preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for this, after some tinkering I figured out that specifically, it is this template from Adobe Stock that is crashing:

https://stock.adobe.com/Library/0eab4010-2a5e-4a25-bfac-520df06382b7?asset_id=368076169

Any idea why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand Guideline Stock Template | Adobe Stock

@default8bm2o8sonwr7 If this is the template you are talking about (your other link didn't work for me), it could be because the sample text included in the template design is for display only and may not be included in the end use or it was downloaded under a trial subscription and not immediately saved locally as a renamed InDesign file so changes could be made later or by anyone else. It's hard to tell for certain without knowing more because you give  us different problems here. Can you explain exactly what you are trying to cut and paste from and into? Can you cut and paste the same thing from your source into a blank document without a crash? Or does any cut and paste, even of a simple text line, into a blank document cause a crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the incorrect post description. I thought it was another problem at first, after research and more experimenting I was able to narrow the issue down.

I downloaded the template under a trial as you said and I tried to export it as a .indd file but I still can't use copy/paste features. By copy and paste for example I wanted to copy a word and paste it to another section as I was editing but InDesign crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default8bm2o8sonwr7 Okay, I think I understand. But when you say, "... and I tried to export it as a .indd file" I'm not sure what you mean by "export." Do you mean you tried to save it as an .indd file and it woudn't save on your local computer? What type of file are you working in that you are tying to cut-and-paste something from one text box area or page to another that is crashing InDesign? Is it an .indt file? If so, did you try saving the document as an .idml document and then opening that to convert to .indd? Also, have you been able to save the other edits you made on this document without any problems? Is it only cut-and-pasting that is broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I used the File --> Export option when I attempted to convert the file from template file to regular InDesign 2021 file. The file saved to my computer. I attempted to use cut-and-paste in the .template and .indd file type, when I say cut-and-paste I solely mean cut-and-paste just text. For example, I wanted to copy and paste a text and then InDesign crashes.

I can save my edits, but if it crashes because of cut-and-paste I can't recover the file from the most recent edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds frustrating for sure! As far as I know, File > Export only allows for type .idml, not .indd. So that is not really what I'd call a "regular" InDesign file as .indd is the standard. Have you tried this: "save as" .idml and then open that file in InDesign, save again as a .indd file, open that file to see if you can cut and paste. Or open both your original template (.indt) file and the copy file of .indd and see if you can cut and paste from one into the other without causing a crash. Otherwise, if this is only happening with that one file/template, I'm just not sure what the issue is other than a problem with the file. If you can normally cut and paste within any other files, you've narrowed it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This works, the only thing is I lost the original formatting and fonts. That's okay though, I will persevere through that. I think it is just this template in particular. others I have tried allow me to cut-and-paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines