InDesign 17.0.1 slow editing, disk-swapping?

Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had problems with some files locking up InDesign  once I upgraded to 17.0.1, likely related to the update to Share for Review. One of the files is about 300 pages, though broken up into multiple Stories, and has a lot of graphics, though I was able to edit without problems in version 16. See the post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-17-0-1-lockups-from-share-for-review/m-....

Therefore, I created a new blank file and started copying text and graphics from my old file into it.

I did the following:

Trashed Preferences. M

Uninstalled InDesign, downloaded and did the Clean Uninstall command-line-ish cleaner.

oved all of the old leftover stuff such as:

CoreSync

Version 14.0

Version 15.0

Version 16.0

Version 17.0

into a backup subdirectory to do a really clean uninstall.

Reinstalled InDesign 17.0.1.

No longer locking up, able to edit, but even with the following disabled:

Automatic PreFlight

Autocorrect

Realtime Spelling

Smart Reflow

And with View > Display Performance set to Fast

Sometimes an hourglass pops up sligthly faster than once a second, for just a fraction of a second, even when I'm doing nothing in InDesign. Sometimes, it takes a few seconds for three or four words to appear on the screen. No better in Story Editor, and with my prior experience with the Copy Editor beta corrupting files, I'm afraid to try it again.

System: Windows 10 x64 latest build 19043.1348

• Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2155 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
  • 256 GB (256 GB usable)
  • LG QHD monitor running at 2560 x 1440 via an NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030

Interestingly, when I watch Task Manager while I'm trying to edit, and unlike some other posts, CPU usage stays below 10%.Memory usage seems to stay about 1,300 GB. However, when InDesign stops to think about the text I've just typed before showing it, disk access sometimes goes up to as high as 10%. The disk is a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus with 660 GB used and 268 GB free.

Any suggestions welcomed.

TOPICS
Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought about breaking this file into separate Chapters of a Book. But it is already a Chapter of a Book, has its own detailed Table of Contents, and has many Cross-References. I thought about breaking it into two Chapters, but (a) the material doesn't lend itself to that, and (b) it would screw up the many Cross-References.

I am still on Windows 10. (My many years of experience with computer hardware and software – I started programming in machine code before being allowed to use A86 assembler, and have built my own computers – leads me not to be an early adopter of anything.) Would upgrading to Windows 11 decrease the disk-swapping and improve the performance?

I should also note that with this same file I didn't have these frequent many-second episodes of InDesign being unresponsive with vertion 16 of InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines