Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 17.0 slow and often freezes

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So I'm a graphic designer and I work in InDesign almost every hour of the day. Half a year ago I bought my new Macbook Pro 16-inch 2019. The specs in my opinion should be fine for InDesign:

- 2,6GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
-16GB RAM

- AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

-500GB SSD (350GB free)

The problem is it is very slow and freezes all the time. When I open documents bigger than 30mb it won't open and I see the spinning beach-ball cursor until I force quit the application. Waiting is not a solution because InDesign completely freezes. Every other application works fine, even when InDesign is frozen. My colleague has the same macbook with a less strong GPU and his is working fine.

I tried reinstalling a couple of times but it didn't solve the problem. I also read a bunch of topics but still after trying and trying I couldn't find anything that helped me out. I had the same issue in older versions of InDesign.

I hope someone on this topic knows how to help me. Looking forward to a reply!

Abel

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Frankly, it sounds like you have a long-standing software conflict with something else you run in the background. That said, try the amnual method of backing up your prefs and cache files before replacing them that you can find in Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting in the hope that I'm wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, it sounds like you have a long-standing software conflict with something else you run in the background. That said, try the amnual method of backing up your prefs and cache files before replacing them that you can find in Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting in the hope that I'm wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here. Indesign 2022 (V17.0.1) just randomly freezes for a few secs with no clear reasons (eg. using a certain tool) whatsoever. Even with a new file that only had 3 pages. Finally gave up and downgraded back to 2021 (V16.4). Everything is smooth again.

* Using Macbook pro 16" 2019 / i9 2.3Ghz / 32G RAM / AMD 5500M 8GB / 1TB SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines