• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 18.1 intermittently not recognizing installed fonts

Participant ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last year Adobe released a version of InDesign (I think it was 17.2) that randomly wouldn't recognize particular fonts. The fix was to revert to an earlier version of InDesign until they release a bug fix version.

It seems this has happened again with 18.1. I create a document in InDesign and send a proof to a customer. Several days later, the customer responds with changes to be made, I load the document into InDesign and it tells me one of the fonts I used is not available. I check to make sure it is activated in Connect Fonts, and sure enough it is. I de-activate and re-activate it several times for good measure. No dice. The font is active in other applications, but NOT InDesign--which is the only application I want it to be active in. 

This has happened a couple of times lately. Today's non-loadable font is called Apex New Bold. It's an Open Type font. 

What are your suggestions?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apex New is not an Adobe font (that is, it's not a font which can be activated from the Creative Cloud). When I do a search for it, it appears to be a free OpenType font.

What operating system are you running? Where have you installed the font? You say, "I check to make sure it is activated in Connect Fonts..." What and where is that?

Have you tried installing it in the InDesign Fonts folder? (Adobe InDesign 2023 folder > Fonts folder)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right that it is not an Adobe Font. Many of the fonts we use are not Adobe fonts.

I am running Windows 10.

My font manager is Connect Fonts, made by Extensis, previously named Suitcase, one of the biggest names in font managers.

Connect Fonts is a font manager. I click on a font and it activates system-wide. I click again and it de-activates system wide. I've been doing this for years.

I have not tried installing it in the InDesign Fonts folder. Why should I have to do that with a font that is available in every other application? This is clearly an InDesign problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm a Mac user and unfamiliar with Windows systems, and Connect Fonts font manager. You'll get better advice from another Windows user, so I'll pass on trying to help further.

What I can say is that in all the years that I've been using InDesign (since version 1.0 thru 18.1), I have never had a font which worked in another Adobe app like Illustrator, and not work in InDesign. Can't say it's impossible, but I'd bet it's something to do with your system setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines