• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 18.2 is extremely slow especially when editing text on windows 11 machine

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My InDesign has gone EXTREMELY slow since the update to 18.2.1. I'm working on a Windows 11 laptop. Placing images works fine, but editing a simple text box, typing a word, any formatting takes several seconds to materialise. Typing a word in a text box will make the word appear letter by letter and each letter takes a few seconds to appear. It is unworkable and simply unacceptable for a paid-for product.

The laptop's resources are not at their limits. I still have spare processor capacity and spare RAM when InDesign decides to think about every little edit, so that's not it.

It never used to be anywhere near this slow, but I can't keep on working like this. Any ideas?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

I've had the unreasonably slow text editing problem strike me before, and usually clearing preferences fixes it for me. In two cases I can bring to mind, this was caused by working in clients' files that were fairly well mistreated (e.g. lots of crashes in the document history). In any case, when you have Weird Stuff like this, clearing out your prefs first is a pretty typical first step in troubleshooting.  

Using ctrl-alt-del immediately after starting InDesign has not brought up the option

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Yes, I finally managed to delete the preferences and this appears to have made a difference. At least highlighting text/words/lines/paragraphs happens quickly again. Hopefully, it will stay this way.

Thanks for pointing out my errors, because I clearly didn't pay full attention to the instructions. In the end the shift-ctrl-alt worked for me on the 20th attempt.

This is clearly something that has happened before and happened to other users. It took me 47 magazines to encounter this particular issu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5, AMD Ryzen 7, 16GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard this elsewhere that Windows 11 is causing issues. I'm reluctant to wipe and install Windows 10, because I think it should work and it did work without issues until a couple of months ago. I'm wondering if it's to do with fonts, because the extreme slowness is in relation to text editing, although opening any dialogue boxes is also extremely slow, eg opening the dialogue box to set the parameters for a new document, or opening the hyperlinks box, etc.

I'm wondering if it's to do with fonts. My latest magazine file has 25 incomplete fonts. This doesn't appear to cause any issues when outputting a PDF for print, but I notice the warning in the file/package dialogue box. Could this be the reason for the slow performance?

I have deleted the fontcache.dat files, but this doesn't appear to have made a difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe...

Can you remove / uninstall all fonts that you've added? 

Then try to add them one by one? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After many months of suffering from extremely poor performance, I have identified and resolved the issue. I was running Avast free antivirus. Even when created an exception for the entire creative cloud folder and even when I temporarily disabled it, the slowness issue was still there. That's why I excluded this as the culprit in my early investigations.

I have now completely removed Avast and just use Windows Defender instead, and my InDesign is back to full speed now! 
I was running Avast previous to the issue occurring, so I don't know if it was one particular update to either InDesign or Avast that caused slowness/incompatibility, but in any case, the issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, I have avast as well - although free version - ID 18.4 - and no problems at all... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

This has been a constant problem for me using InDesign since about version 18.0 (could be 18.2 as in your case).  Without going into too much detail, I concluded that it is not a hardware or network issue.  Deleting preferences, changing computers, changing network, reinstalling, upgrading to new version, fixing potentially corrupt files...nothing hit the spot. 

However, i just wanted to add a piece to the puzzle that might help the experts.  What surprises me is that I experience a huge difference in performance (specifically in text editing) when switching been Essentials and Essentials Classic workspace.  Essentials is not great but usable, whereas Essentials Classic is not usable at all.   Anyway, I hope that might unlock a door for somebody with better knowledge of the program's inner workings than I have :).  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anna5EAA 

InDesign is always very slow if you have Links pallet open - or in case of Essentials Classic - CC Library might be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert!

Thanks for getting back to me.  I haven't ever payed much attention to CC Libraries, so that was an interesting point.   I often have Links palette open and as long as I am using the Essentials workspace, everything usually flows pretty well on my machine.  (Although not quite as well as previous program versions).   

I did a little experiment closing the CC-Libraries and Links Pallettes, both individually and simultaneously.  I can't say I notice any major changes in performance.  Essentials works better than Essentials Classic in alla scenarios.  So it still feels like a bit of a mystery.  Please let me know if there are any other functions i should look att.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anna5EAA 

That's my "minimalistic" setup:

RobertTkaczyk_0-1711107638199.png

With optionally Cell/Table Styles if I have a lot of tables.

Links, Lines, Color, Align collapsed but quickly accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the suggestions shared by Robert and if you still need assistance, you can try the steps shared in this article. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for coming with suggestions.   I'll respond If I make any breakthroughs.  🙂  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same performance issues. Selecting text in Indesign takes 3-5 sec.  If I type a few words I have to wait 2-3 sec. to see the words pop in. I can fly through complex Unreal Engine scenes rendering 100 million polygons butter smooth but Illustrator locks up when pasting a 10kb vector graphic? I wish I was kidding.

Indesign and Illustrator worked fine 10 years ago yet are now unusable on a high end workstation? (AMD 24 core, RTX 4090, 128GB RAM) This is completely unacceptable. I have tried tweaking program settings in nvidia CP, methods listed in this thread, and more with no change. We cancelled 3 CC seats for our video team due to similar Premiere issues moving them to Resolve. Looking at alternatives for INDD, AI, and PSD now. Adobe has been on the decline for 10 years, ignoring its customers and focusing on shareholder value. It's almost as if they are taking our monthly subscriptions for granted.  = (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mgsummer

I don't think it's a CC problem - rather your specific system configuration.

Network - server / cards / drivers, AntiVirus / AntiMalvare software, fonts, additional hardware, drivers for this additional hardware, etc.

What is your machine / configuration? 

Can you strip it to the barebones - cpu / ram / ssd / built-in/generic network card - install fresh system and CC - avast as AV?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm working right now on an I7 6700 with 16GB of RAM, and I don't see the behaviour you're talking about. Text selection and font selection work rather faster than you'd expect fom such an old machine. Oh yeah, my video card?  It's a GeForce GT 730! 

There are a few different things at play, here:

1) If my client sent me a package with a Document Fonts folder, I always rename it. My low-spec machine acts like yours, with a 3-5 second delay to select text (or a font) if I allow InDesign to see the Document Fonts folder.

2) InDesign is a very old single-core app; your mention of the number of cores makes me wonder what your single-core speed is

3) InDesign can't take advantage of GPU, at least on Windows (I think Mac users get some GPU acceleration)

4) I keep my selection of fonts pretty well groomed; I don't leave thousands of fonts installed all the time, and I avoid the use of Adobe Fonts when possible. It's usually not possible to avoid, but I do what I can.

So, most of the power in your monstrous desktop is unavailable to your twenty-year-old page layout app. In your shoes, I'd look at either the size of my fonts folder, or perhaps my single-core speed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. If it's slow while working on a specific file, please export the file as IDML, open it, and save it with a different name to test again. If it's happening with multiple files, please try the suggestions shared in this article. Let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
2 hours ago 2 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert, Joel, and Rishabh - Thank you for your suggestions. I tried Rishabh's suggestion saving as IDML, opening and resaving as INDD.  This worked! Thank you! This also creduced the file size from 33MB to 21MB with no loss of data or issues that I can see. Love to know why this worked. Maybe Adobe can add this to the next update and improve their INDD save process? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
an hour ago an hour ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Robert, Joel, and Rishabh - Thank you for your suggestions. I tried Rishabh's suggestion saving as IDML, opening and resaving as INDD.  This worked! Thank you! This also creduced the file size from 33MB to 21MB with no loss of data or issues that I can see. Love to know why this worked. Maybe Adobe can add this to the next update and improve their INDD save process? 

By @mgsummer

You are probably only using Save, right?

When you work on your document - InDesign is constantly adding Undo History so you can go back to an empty document - untill you close it.

When you do Save - all this info is preserved in the file - but when you close your document - it stays there but isn't accessible anymore - so your file is getting bigger and bigger and is getting slower to open and work.

When you do Save As - with a new name - InDesign is removing this Undo History.

IDMLing is even deeper housekeeping - it also purges all previews.

When you open IDML file - InDesign is rebuilding it from scratch.

This also helps to fix corrupted documents.

You can use Save as often as you want - but you should do Save As with a new name at least once a day.

This has two benefits:

1) removes Undo History so your file will open quicker,

2) you have a backup copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines