Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2019 – Launch Error Freezing on start Screen

Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, I'll launch ID and get pass the splash screen and land on the recent documents screen then I get about 30sec of stutter with my mouse and the program completely freezes and cannot be closed unless I kill it in task manager. The program in task manager does not show the whole program as "not responding" but it does show on one of the sub-tasks in ID. It's eating all my cpu cycles and is literally unusable:

Capture.JPG

I've tried completely clearing my AppData, holding shift, alt, shift+alt during boot - nothing works! The update completely broke.

My hardware info:

Win10 Pro (64), fully updated

Intel i5-4690K

32GB RAM

GTX-970 (4GB) latest driver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Hi All,

Please try these steps and share results:

Try resetting preferences for InDesign:

Close all Adobe applications.

Go to Locations C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe and C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe.

Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old (Zip InDesign.old and upload to Creative Cloud/Google Drive/ Dropbox and share a direct download link)

Launch InDesign from CC.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its_pronounced_fee  wrote

For me, I'll launch ID and get pass the splash screen and land on the recent documents screen then I get about 30sec of stutter with my mouse and the program completely freezes and cannot be closed unless I kill it in task manager. The program in task manager does not show the whole program as "not responding" but it does show on one of the sub-tasks in ID. It's eating all my cpu cycles and is literally unusable:

Capture.JPG

I've tried completely clearing my AppData, holding shift, alt, shift+alt during boot - nothing works! The update completely broke.

My hardware info:

Win10 Pro (64), fully updated

Intel i5-4690K

32GB RAM

GTX-970 (4GB) latest driver

This sounds like a similar problem I've had a few times, usually signing out (of Windows) and signing back in again resolves this for me...

Also, it does seem like windows updates cause issues with the Nvidia graphics cards at times, I removed the latest windows update just a week ago as it caused this problem, now I've turned off auto updates for now...

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately our systems are managed by IT and rolling back updates is not currently an option but thanks for your insight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Please try these steps and share results.

Launch InDesign and the Quit it and then relaunch it from Creative Cloud.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can not actually quit InDesign, as it does not allow me to do so – when being freezed.

A fresh start-up from Creative Cloud then leads to a freeze once again ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've launched it normally from windows start menu, it gives me just enough running time to hit the "X" and close properly.

I then open up CC and launch via the CC app, it loads past the splash and does not freeze - hovering over projects highlights as normal.

As soon as a mouse click is input, whether it be on a project, "create new" button, or a menu button like "File" or "Edit", ID hangs just as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right, this somehow seems to work with me now. I managed to perform the »Quit-and-relaunch-from-Creative-Cloud«-trick and I didn’t run into any more freezes since then.

One additional observation: The time it takes to do a fresh start-up with opening an existing ID doc is pretty long, like almost 3 minutes on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it worked for you but for me, it's still broken - I can get it to launch and not freeze at 'idle' but as soon as my mouse clicks on something I'm back to square one with the program hanging and eating up CPU cycles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing:

All my first leading-to-a-freeze attempts had some window in the beginning, regarding repairing or converting old (2018?) ID docs or something. I don’t seem to get that window any more now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting! i have no window whatsoever, it's just hung. before I leave the office today, I'm going to launch it and let ID just run overnight to see if it finishes what it thinks it's doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, steadily just about 5 or 6 seconds after start-up. Needs to be shut down via Task Manager. Starting it with administrator rights does not help.

Windows 10 Pro 64

Intel i7-2600K

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 2000, latest drivers I believe

No such problems with Photoshop CC 2019, Illustrator CC 2019, Premiere Pro CC 2019 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this. Didn't work. It's a joke that Adobe can't get their software to work. Tried everything. Launched the software in a differnt profile on the problematic machine, and it works. Really? Do I have to rebuild the end user's profile? Too much work to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out an actual fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please try these steps and share results:

Try resetting preferences for InDesign:

Close all Adobe applications.

Go to Locations C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe and C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe.

Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old (Zip InDesign.old and upload to Creative Cloud/Google Drive/ Dropbox and share a direct download link)

Launch InDesign from CC.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

renamed both with a .old append, uploaded via box, please use this link to download:

InDesign.zip - Box

also, for some reason, in the 'roaming' directory, there were somehow two adobe directories (with the exact same name), one contained everything while another had an 'After Effects' folder - I've since deleted the additional Adobe folder, hopefully this doesn't screw up AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this seems to have fixed it, ID seems to be working ok now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !
Thank you this somehow works, I could then understand that what was crashing ID is a corrupted file, but then I have no idea how to recover it, it instantly crashes the software when I open it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found how to if anyone is still having an issue with it, thanks to this link : https://indesignskills.com/tutorials/open-corrupt-indesign-files/#:~:text=Open%20InDesign%20and%20go....

Open the corrupted file as a copy, it worked for me, then you can overwrite the corrupted file with the newly created one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are having this issue, if renaming/deleting InDesign folders doesn't do the trick for you, try also thoroughly cleaning your Temp folder. Worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I faced hanging probloem all of above solutions did not work , finally when I contacted customer care they entered my laptop after long digging they found the problem with windows user when I created a new user it worked very well. But still I could not find the problem with windows yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines