• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted.. Please help!

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to InDesign 2019 and now when I try to place an image (file>place) or even drag a picture or pdf graphic from my downloads to my indesign spread it is inverting & reversing the image!  Anyone know how to fix this??  I would be forever grateful!  -Madeline

Looks like this when placed...

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 4.35.23 PM.png

Should look like this...

Bond Member Message.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check this setting and make sure it's NOT checked:

Preferences > General > Content-Aware Fit > Make Content-Aware Fit the default frame fitting option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Because the AI algorithm may have decided this looks better upside down? Interesting. I've seen lots of examples from Adobe but none of their pictures were flipped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the beta testers thought the Content-aware Fit algorithm was more reliable with raster images than vector but I never had the time to do extensive testing. I just wanted to see if the user had purposefully or accidentally turned that setting on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very pointless feature. First thing to do is turn that stuff off. There is no substitute for the human eye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a pointless feature, Eugene, although it may not be for you. Many people like it quite a lot, although I wouldn't set it as a default. See my article in InDesignSecrets.com:

What’s New With InDesign CC 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I severely disagree. Another "feature" added that won't be used.

Far better doing it by eye, and only takes a few seconds anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree that it's pointless Eugene, this feature actually gets me way closer than any of the other options in a lot of cases. As pointed out earlier though, it seems to provide more success with raster images. I think if anything, I'd like to see the content-aware fit option moved to the frame fitting options area instead of a global preference in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry this is going way off topic - happy to move to another thread if not appropiate.

To the OP - did you get this sorted?

Testing the AI:

Not trying to fool the software. I placed 16 images - and 15 out of 16 didn't content aware scale correctly.

Totally random photos.

Here's the worst one - nothing of the content in focus.

Capture.PNG

This is what the in focus content is.

Capture2.PNG

I'd highly recommend to people to not rely on this content aware feature - if you're placing photos, image, etc. it's best to do it yourself using your trained eye to place it successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's where I've found them most useful. You have a number of digital camera pictures. They've never been opened in Photoshop so they are stored at a very large size and 72 ppi by default. When you place them in a frame you're only seeing a small corner of the image. Clicking Content-aware Fit will give you a good starting point. If you're lucky, it might be perfect from the start, but it makes it much faster to tweak them exactly the way you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example: Placing 72 ppi images without fitting:

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 8.44.23 AM.png

Choose Content-aware Fit as a starting point:

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 8.44.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Werner  wrote

Many of the beta testers thought the Content-aware Fit algorithm was more reliable with raster images than vector but I never had the time to do extensive testing. I just wanted to see if the user had purposefully or accidentally turned that setting on.

Hi Steve,

I did some tests with placed PDFs, that include also placed AI graphics. Content Aware Fit is not working very well with PDFs.

The default in preferences for the feature is off. So I would only enable the feature for already placed and selected images if I have a mix of pixel based ones like JPEGs, TIFFs, PSDs and vector/pixel/text based ones like PDFs, AIs and InDesign pages.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help to see the actual frame for the graphic highlighted. Another possibility could be that they clicked the flip vertical button on the frame at some point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say I find it takes an awfully long time fitting 15 pictures...

I don't find it useful - it gets it wrong most times - and I have to go back and manually fit them all anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix for this issue is available in the latest Beta build of InDesign CC2019. To try out the fix, please do the following:

1. Go to the InDesign Prerelease page - https://www.adobeprerelease.com
2. Login with your Adobe ID.
3. Search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
4. Click on the program to join.
5. Download the Beta build (14.0.2.321) from “Builds and Plugins” section.

The steps for installing the build are mentioned in the Release Notes.

Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this fixed the issue with the text flipping - thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mine does this too when placing photos.....either flipped horizonialy or vertically.....and has done this for YEARS........no fixes ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines