• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2019 to 2020? How to upgrade?

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am a freelance production editor. I have been sent indesign documents that I can open, but the images are stripped out. I've been told they are using Indesign 2020 while I am using 2019. How can I upgrade? I have had an Indesign account for two years, why have I been left behind? How can I upgrade. Indesign's own advice channed is closed?!?

Thanks

Sue

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Hi Sue:

You can use Help > Updates in InDesign or update through the Creative Cloud desktop application, as per @Eugene Tyson's correct response. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

However, to upgrade, your system must meet the minimum requirements. If the upgrade is grayed out in either location, that is usually why. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/user-guide.html/uk/indesign/system-requirements.ug.html

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Hi Sue,

you say: "…I have been sent indesign documents that I can open, but the images are stripped out."

What I guess is: The images are not stripped out, but they do only show as gray boxes.

The explanation for this behavior: While you opened the document in InDesign 2019,  InDesign converts the version 2020 document in the background using an Adobe server system to your InDesign 2019 version. This is done by using the exchange format IDML without any further notice.

( Or an IDML file was se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download Creative Cloud application.

You can upgrade once you've logged in.

Why were you left behind? Because you didn't upgrade, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue:

You can use Help > Updates in InDesign or update through the Creative Cloud desktop application, as per @Eugene Tyson's correct response. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

However, to upgrade, your system must meet the minimum requirements. If the upgrade is grayed out in either location, that is usually why. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/user-guide.html/uk/indesign/system-requirements.ug.html

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sue,

you say: "…I have been sent indesign documents that I can open, but the images are stripped out."

What I guess is: The images are not stripped out, but they do only show as gray boxes.

The explanation for this behavior: While you opened the document in InDesign 2019,  InDesign converts the version 2020 document in the background using an Adobe server system to your InDesign 2019 version. This is done by using the exchange format IDML without any further notice.

( Or an IDML file was sent to you with the same effect: if you open the IDML file as InDesign document the missing images are shown as gray boxes. )

If you need the screen renderings of the missing images for your work you either need the placed and linked image files so that InDesign is able to access the files for screen renditions or you need InDesign 2020 to open the document where the screen representations are still there.

FWIW: You'll need the missing images in any case, if you want to export your pages to PDF for e.g. review…

Your client should be able to package the InDesign file from InDesign 2020 with a Links folder containing the used images, a Document fonts folder containing the used fonts if they are not from the Adobe Fonts service, an exported PDF showing the pages plus an IDML InDesign exchange file that you could open with InDesign 2019. The whole package should be made available to you.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines