Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2019(v14.0.3) stuck on "Touch workspace" on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Support Community,
my InDesign (v14.0.3) freezes apprx. 1 second after launching it. It only shows the "Touch Workspace"-overlay and the animation of the finger drawing a rectangle after freezing the program completely. The only way to close InDesign is via task manager.
I tried reinstalling, updating, older versions, deleting old files but i can't seem to find a solution.

I would be very thankful for any kind of help!

Best regards!

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign, you can try resetting the preferences for InDesign as corrupt preferences is one of the primary reason for crashing. Please follow the steps below for resetting the preferences:

Manual Reset: 

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Help Article: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html 

If that doesn't help, I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. Operating System and its exact version.
  2. When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rishab,

unfortunately that did not work out. 😞

Here is some more information as requested:

OS: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit-Version (10.0, Build 18362.418)

Last year in Novembre I used InDesign successfully for some Designs and did not use it since. Last month I wanted to start using it again (with a brand new license) but it did not work so I tried some stuff but nothing has helped since... There has not been a change to my antivirus system and apart from the Windows and driver updates I am not aware of any major changes...

Best regards

Matthias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthias,

Sorry to hear about this frustrating situation. Could you please share a small video or a few screenshots of the screen where it gets stuck?

We're here to help!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

sure! Here we go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM-LVkjTY74&feature=youtu.be
In this case (I assume because OBS caught plenty of ressources) I was still able to click the button. Without OBS running, I can't even click it because of the freeze... By the way: This is InDesign v15.0 now. 😉

Regards,
Matthias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Srishti,

do you need any further or more detailed information? I desperately need InDesign to work 😞 

Regards,
Matthias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there ever a solution to this? I'm having the same problem. The "Touch" introduction takes over the application and cannot be closed no matter what you do... So the application becomes completely non-operational.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there ever a solution to this? I'm having the same problem. The "Touch" introduction takes over the application and cannot be closed no matter what you do... So the application becomes completely non-operational.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I found "kind of" a solution. 

I started my Laptop in Safe Mode. There I was able to open Id, so I went into Edit->Preferences->General.

I deactivated all kinds of things like "Show HomeScreen..." and the touchspace-activation. I rebooted w/o Safe Mode and I was finally able to use Id.

HOWEVER:
With every update I have to go through this again. 
Whenever I have to reset preferences due to another bug, I have to go through this again.
It seems to me like Id is using more resources than it should be. All in all (graphics, speed, etc.) it doesn't "feel right"...

The bug (or some other that is very similar) still occurs if my Laptop is not freshly rebooted.
This solution was not given by the Adobe which actually kind of disappoints me. I had to try all kinds of things for A LOT of hours just to get this started. I really love all everything Adobe does. But this still bugs me out quite a bit.

Hope this helped you, though. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a huge amount of frustration with this, I literally just started punching random key combinations across the entire keyboard trying to create any program response... In doing so, I happened upon "Ctrl + Enter"; which opens a "Quick Apply" window. Searching for "Workspace" brings up several "Load __ Default Workspace" options. Clicking on one of these finally breaks the nonsensical program lock and opens the workspace. You can then use the workspace selection drop menu per usual to load whatever you want.

So, for those just browsing this thread, the steps are:

• Ctrl + Enter (open Quick Apply)
  • Search "Workspace"
  • Double-click on "Window Menu:Workspace>Load 1st Default Workspace"
  • Use the Workspace drop menu at the top-right to pick the workspace you actually want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not willing to disable all Windows 10 touchscreen functionality or reboot in safe mode just to use InDesign 2021, so I tried this, and it worked for me. Thank you for punching randomly and stumbling upon the solution!

Frustrating that after 5 years of this known issue, it hasn't been resolved yet.  -_-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, still present in 2022. Definetely reconsidering using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the very same problem. I hope Adobe can fix this because I tell everyone how great InDesign is, then try to show someone and the program does exactly what you described! Thank you, Screaming Rage, for bringing some peace to this frustration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely enough, today when we opened InDesign, it didn't start a touchscreen tutorial. What a relief!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that, it's worked for me aswell. We pay a lot of money to use this software, we're not always getting value for money it seems. Love the program itself though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough, I hit the escape key and it closed the touch information screen.  all is well now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for this. It's April 2023 and Adobe still hasn't fixed this. I'm so grateful for your post because it solved this problem for me quickly and easily! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with 16.0. This is the only thing that worked for me:

https://www.howtogeek.com/258522/how-to-enable-or-disable-your-computers-touch-screen-in-windows-10/

It means the touchscreen is completely disable, but better than nothing I guess. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed as it's been a known issue since 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening for me and nothing in this thread has helped. Adobe gets to be a monopoly without fixing 5 year old known problems? Awesome! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same I can't do my work because Adobe is breaking it's own programgs. I don't even have a touch screen on my computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and nothing to working to fix it. I am about to scream. I have been paying for Creative Cloud for many years and normally I love it. I just got this new computer for Christmas and it has touchscreen. I am in the middle if working on an important project and can't get into the freaking program. I don't care about the dumb tutorial that will not go away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same issue! Very frustrating.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 075952.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ian255802463804 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the suggestions shared in the below-mentioned similar discussions: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-stuck-in-quot-touch-quot-workspace-on-f...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-to-disable-touch-workspace-on-indesign-cc/m-...

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old issue -- I ended up with the same problem in a computer classroom lab wth 30 desktops (no touch capabilities). Our workaround has been to go into Creative Cloud app, then launch from there. Once it has luanched you can use the program and bypass the Touch Tutorial the program is trying to make you complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines