• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 15.1.2 keeps crashing or running slow doing very simple tasks on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Adobe products for over 15 years and really have not had any issues with any of them. But the last couple of versions of InDesign have been causing nothing problems for me. I am constantly getting the "spinning wheel" every 5-10 mins of doing very simple tasks like moving text/objects, deleting items, etc. I have been searching for answers but nothing has remedied the problem, even after updating to the latest version 15.1.2 

I am using a Macbook Pro (2015-2016) with an LG 4k Monitor but I doubt that is the issue because I have no issues running all other Adobe products including AfterEffects, Photoshop, Illustrator and even AutoCAD...InDesign is the only program that is giving me this issue.

Here are some suggestions that I have tried:

1. RESET YOUR PREFERENCES.

2. TURN OFF YOUR GPU PERFORMANCE

3. CHANGE YOUR MONITOR'S COLOR PROFILE TO RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1

4. SOME PEOPLE ARE MENTIONING "DELETING THE FONT FOLDER" But I believe this is referring to when woking from packaged files. Becasue I get the spinning wheel with brand new documents.

5. CANCEL MY CREATIVE CLOUD SUBSCRIPTION and just start using an old typewriter to speed up my workflow while Adobe takes thier sweet time to fix an issue that seems to be a thing since Janury of this year. 

Bueller?... Bueller? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Which version of your OS and how much RAM?

Try this:

Uninstall InDesign, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and reinstall it again. If that doesnt solve the problem then unistall it once again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Had the same problem. Then i read somewhere that if you have a network drive connected via SMB that this causes the slowdown. I changed the connection to my networkdrive to AFP. Solved it for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of your OS and how much RAM?

Try this:

Uninstall InDesign, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and reinstall it again. If that doesnt solve the problem then unistall it once again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start with ...
What Font management program do you use ?
and then we can lead into some other questions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, InDesign on my work computer gives me fits occasionally,  due to the propietary font program my employer uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response... 

I am not sure what Font management software I am using--would this software be pre-installed on a MacBook?  Because I have not installed any 3rd party font management program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it is Font Book - part of the apple mac system setup. I take it you haven't installed any fonts yourself ?

By adding them into Font Book...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try what Derek suggested and uninstall and then run the Adobe cleaner app before installing again ?

run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen that Adobe Cleaner solution suggested before--I haven't tried it but others with the same issue as me had no luck. 

I will give it a shot! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep us posted please - keen to get you up and running smoothly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having that problem too. I can't even get it to load a document. This has been happening since the last update and I have work I desperately need to finish. I've spent countless hours trying to fix it and uninstalled everything then reinstalled. I'm an artist, not a computer programmer. I don't know why we would be expected to figure this out on our own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, and to top it off, it corrupted a bunch of my files 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your InDesign preferences?

Have you tried using Adobe Cleaner after uninstalling InDesign?

Re your corrupt documents, have a used the divide system to try and isolate the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists. Crashing and unexpected behavior in application can be caused due to multiple reasons. You may also try the steps suggested here and share your observations with us.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it, we'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.... I tried all of the above suggestions and I am still having the same issues. 

I will try your suggestion and boot my system in safe mode. I will keep you posted!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention...

I have noticed that the issue is not as noticeable when I have my Macbook Pro CLOSED while plugged into my LG monitor. It seems that I get better performance when I keep the Macbook closed and use only the LG Monitor or only the Macbook (not plugged into the monitor)

I should point out that I have no issues with any other Adobe products when I have my Macbook open and plugged into the monitor--I only notice it when I am using inDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I took your advice and started in SAFE MODE and inDesign seems to be working fine.

My next question would be, is it possible to find out which 3rd party software or plugin is causing the issues?  

***I checked the PLUGIN folder for inDesign and I do not have any 3rd party plugins installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed response. Finding the application which is causing the trouble is a bit tricky. You’ll have to disable all the apps one by one on your user account and observe the behavior of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if Time Machine is running (preparing or running) I find that time machine causes indesign to crash or lag or beachball. Adobe have provided no answer to this (except turn time machine off) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had the same problem. Then i read somewhere that if you have a network drive connected via SMB that this causes the slowdown. I changed the connection to my networkdrive to AFP. Solved it for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines