• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 Interactive PDF - No controller option when adding video?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I hope you are all safe and well 🙂

Really hoping someone can help me with this one as I'm submitting my final university project in a few days and I can't seem to fix this issue!

I want to be able to modify/add a stop - play - pause bar on videos that I have added to my doc, but when I insert the vid and click on media pannel there are no options for this? I'm sure it used to be called controller?

Is there something really simple I'm missing here? Getting really stressed out lol x

Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 15.28.27.png

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Once the Flash technology was removed, that portion disappeared too. Maybe you could try an EPUB?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

correct. indesign 2020 did away with all options in your indesign panels which used flash technology. thats one of them in that panel.

If you absolutely need to have those controls, install indesign 2019 or older to open that file ( make a .idml).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the Flash technology was removed, that portion disappeared too. Maybe you could try an EPUB?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Mike!

Unfortunately, my assignment brief specifies an Interactive PDF only as an output 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use InDesign's Publish Online or FXL ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with the ID publish online tool I will look into it - Thank you, Derek 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correct. indesign 2020 did away with all options in your indesign panels which used flash technology. thats one of them in that panel.

If you absolutely need to have those controls, install indesign 2019 or older to open that file ( make a .idml).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jonathan, Thank you for explaining, I thought I was going crazy!  - Do you mind me asking where I would find/how I would go about installing an older version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you do install a movie it may not play on the device that your university examiners may use. Can you ask them, so you can test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a tutorial tomorrow morning so I will ask then - the quick solution I can think of is uploading the videos to youtube and hyperlinking them (which could potentially help me with how painfully slow ID is being!!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Can you tell me did this work?

I want to be able to pause a video that plays in my document and at the moment i dont have any options. If i have a close button i can get the video to close but not to stop playing the sound!

Thanks Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 1.27.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome. If you are interested in having that capability look at IN5 by ajar production, their indesign plug in does have a media widget that allows you to add these controllers of video.

cheers

jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the useful responses given earlier, please check out this help article for more information about adding media/sounds in InDesign files. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I had the same issue, no controllers after exporting 'interactive PDF'. Troubleshooting:

• open the PDF with Acrobat
  • right-click the video and make sure it's de-activated
  • that's how you could reach the 'properties' panel.

There you change everything you want, even placeholder image, controls, fullscreen, autoplay, ...

Regards,
miho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Miho! I hope you're well.
In the properties panel of PDF there ar only two options for the bar control for video: "none" or "all", also it is u¿inhabilited the option of color. So, even I choose "all controls", no change happens. I don't know what to do. After I export to PDF interactive I can see the video, but ? cant manage it with the playback control. May be you know something about. Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to do it by using the 'Prepare Form' option in Acrobat Pro. Once activated just right click on the video to get the properties and you'll find the controls tab in there.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't play a video in an Interactive PDF (except for some strictly limited workflows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines