Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 Slow Performance

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been having problems with inDesign for the past few months. Everything is a second or so behind... Everytime I move an image or or text box there is a lag of around half a second. The hand tool and zoom tool are also extremely jumpy. I'm aslo getting a spinning wheel for very simple tasks.

This problem seemed to come out of no-where, I have a very powerful machine (spec below) and have other users in the studio running the same version of indesign with no problems at all.

{Renamed By MOD}

I've tried the following:

• Working offline
  • Restarting in safe mode
  • Reinstalling software
  • Turning anti virus off

Any help would be greatly appreciated as neither myself or our IT support can figure this out

Cheers

Liam

Processor - 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory - 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

Graphics - MD FirePro D300 2 GB

Indesign 2020 - 15.01

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Morning all,

Thanks for all of your replys over the last year. I finally found a solution to this problem!

After reading through the comments, I noticed a few people had success changing the colour profile from their monitor to Apple RGB or Colour LCD. This didnt work for me when I initially tried it, but after trying out a few more colour options today I found one that works (sRGB IEC61966-2.1). Changing to this colour setting (in preferences/Display) instantly changed inDesign from being laggy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a third-party plug-in such as a font manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes tried resetting the preferences, and I only use the defualt font book - no other programmes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. The exact version of the Operating System.
  2. Is this happening on a specific file?
  3. Was there an improvement in safe mode?
  4. Where are the files saved, locally or on a network drive or shared drive?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishab,

Thanks for your help. Details below:

1. The exact version of the Operating System.
    macOS Catalina 10.5.2(19C57)
  2. Is this happening on a specific file?
    No all files
  3. Was there an improvement in safe mode?
    No
  4. Where are the files saved, locally or on a network drive or shared drive?
    I do work of a server some of the time, however this issue happens when offline or even when creating a new file.

I hope this helps, I look forward to your response

Cheers

Liam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. Could you please turn off the GPU performance from the preferences and observe the application performance and let us know how it goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Risha,

That didnt help unfortunately, it may have even made it worse. Turning that off would also take away the animated zoom which I use alot

Cheers

Liam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Our organisation has just moved over from CC2018 to CC2020 and it is slower – like you say there is a lag and sometimes the wheel spins for an annoying amount of time. I know that these same files didn't struggle for CC18

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try this:

Unistall InDesign, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and reinstall InDesign again. If that doesn't  solve the problem then unistall it once again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign again.

Here's a link to Cleaner: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will not fix the issue.

The problem is the algorithm, which handles the screening with individual ICC profiles as in Lightroom. For Lightroom a fix for this issue is coming (have seen it live 😉 ). I hope this fix will also be adapted for Indesign, because it is a pain not to work with calibrated workflow in a color sensitive enviroment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what you are saying is that as of today, 2 April 2021, there is no way to work in Indesign and have a calibrated monitor with a custom color profile? I have my own spider pro with the help of I loaded into the video card the \WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\calibrated.icm profile.

I can't work without this profile, the default monitor colours are horrible. And I think any professional would calibrate the display prior to anything..

Is there an Adobe official response on this matter? I have the latest Indesign (16.1), the latest Windows 10 Pro), the latest Windows Updates patches and the latest video driver (Intel 7700K onboard video card).

Maybe a dedicated video card would help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched from a 2012 Mac Pro to a Mac mini with the M1 chip and am using the ore-release version of InDesign and can use any color profile I want and there are no slowdown issues.

[Logo]
Jeff Halmos | Persuasive Brand Strategy & Corp ID
a: Toronto, Canada
e: jeff@jeffhalmos.com | w: www.jeffhalmos.com
p: 647 267 6619
[linkedin icon]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely the same issue for me and I've posted about it in the past. Not the same hardware setup (48Gb RAM; Mac Pro 5,1; 12 core; RX 580 8Gb; m.2 SSD drive). 

I THINK it has to do with 4K monitors, because I can move the InDesign window to the 2K monitor above my 4K and InDesign is slick and fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UNBELIEVABLE. So ihave to switch to 2k on my 4k monitor everytime I use InDesign so that my workflow doesn't grind to a halt? I just changed resolution after dealing with insane slowdowns, went to 2k from 4k, and everything is lightning fast. Adobe, please get your act together, This is crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What fixed my issue was changing the color setting in System Preferences > Displays > Color and changed the default that my 4K monitor supplied to Apple RGB. 

AND INSTANTLY five months of terror was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, do you know how I can change this colour setting on PC or if that is even possible? I am running Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't but I know two people, one from this forum, that said it did the trick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snap! Same issue, color settings in Indesign File > Colour Settings set it to monitor color and Working spaces RGB: Monitor RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Also added colour profile to my monitor under colour management within the graphics card.... 

My high spec machine was also not the problem.
When the app lags even fractionally one can notice a dent in your performance. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UI Scaling... this is causing the slow sluggish demon. Switch it off, you can't see the icons on 4K monitors. Switch to 2K and turn UI off... back to normal speeds... 😞 Adobe? solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Realimagine I ended up finding a solution for my lagging which is worth a try but may not be the same thing. If you're working from packaged InDesign folder, try deleting the document fonts folder inside it. Lagging was caused because of a double up in fonts on my computer. This took a month of testing by myelf and IT team to finally figure out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same: opening from a packaged document gave us a clue: those are always lagging after opening. Remove the Documents folder (if needed, place those fonts in the system) and gone is the Text lag. I reported this to Adobe many times now. They simply ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS solved my problem, is not the colour profile but the Packaged FONTS. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It solved YOUR problem. Not THE problem. The problem with custom ICC profiles and more than one 4K monitors on MacOS still persists. Its a shame for a company like Adobe. A shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines