Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 Slow Performance

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been having problems with inDesign for the past few months. Everything is a second or so behind... Everytime I move an image or or text box there is a lag of around half a second. The hand tool and zoom tool are also extremely jumpy. I'm aslo getting a spinning wheel for very simple tasks.

This problem seemed to come out of no-where, I have a very powerful machine (spec below) and have other users in the studio running the same version of indesign with no problems at all.

{Renamed By MOD}

I've tried the following:

• Working offline
  • Restarting in safe mode
  • Reinstalling software
  • Turning anti virus off

Any help would be greatly appreciated as neither myself or our IT support can figure this out

Cheers

Liam

Processor - 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory - 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

Graphics - MD FirePro D300 2 GB

Indesign 2020 - 15.01

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Morning all,

Thanks for all of your replys over the last year. I finally found a solution to this problem!

After reading through the comments, I noticed a few people had success changing the colour profile from their monitor to Apple RGB or Colour LCD. This didnt work for me when I initially tried it, but after trying out a few more colour options today I found one that works (sRGB IEC61966-2.1). Changing to this colour setting (in preferences/Display) instantly changed inDesign from being laggy

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem described previously by iuyfitu.

I've been using InDesign since it replaced Pagemaker and I subscribe to Creative Cloud so I always have the most up-to-date version installed on my computer. I'm a graphic designer so I use InDesign all the time and have been very frustrated with this problem for probably 6 months now. I was assuming at first that maybe it was a conflict or problem related either an InDesign update or a Windows 10 update. I have a powerful computer and I'm not having this problem with Photoshop -- the program I use most in addition to InDesign. 

This is driving me crazy and making it extremely slow and difficult to do my work! I've done the things iuyfitu describes above, including uninstalling and reinstalling the software and nothing has helped.  I'll read through the responses to this thread in hopes that there's SOMETHING here that is helpful.

Thank you for posting potential solutions. I'll let you know if I find one that works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning all,

Thanks for all of your replys over the last year. I finally found a solution to this problem!

After reading through the comments, I noticed a few people had success changing the colour profile from their monitor to Apple RGB or Colour LCD. This didnt work for me when I initially tried it, but after trying out a few more colour options today I found one that works (sRGB IEC61966-2.1). Changing to this colour setting (in preferences/Display) instantly changed inDesign from being laggy and jumpy to smooth and responsive.

FYI Im using a Mac Pro with an LG ultra fine display.

Thank again

Liam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liam, This solution didn't work for me. I have an iMAC / 32GB ram. It is a big pain working with InDesign. Whatever I do in InDesign, it stops me for 4 to 7 seconds and then lets me go for a moment... and starts again and again and again and again and again and again... It is so annoying  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please try suggestions given on this community discussion(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-2021-continually-locks-up-on-first-task/m-p/1172200...) & let us know if they help to improve the performance of the app.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solidifies, for me, that it's a color space issue and that it's an Adobe one and not an Apple one. And that it's a big deal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Indesign has been getting worse and worse over the years. Changing the color profile seemed to help for a few minutes but it's back to slow motion in no time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a friendly reminder that the first time that this issue was reported was JANUARY 16, 2020. 
Thanks for the amazing support, Adobe.

That was sarcasm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liam, are you referring to the MAC OS system prefrerences or the INDD Color Settings prefs? I create my own monitor profiles (with xrite's i1 Profiler) and have servral macs in my department that need that for color consistancy. To have to switch to AppleRGB would be counter-productive when it comes to calibrating a monitor.

The one thing I notice on my screen that seems to be a hang up is the little progress bar at the bottom left of tour screen that says "Reading...<filname>". If you have a lot of images, it seems INDD constantly reads them for whatever reason. It's soooo anooying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, within the MAC OS System preferences. Its a huge oversight by Adobe as you cant use a cutomised monitor profile without lag from what I've experienced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with EIZO Monitors and Color Navigator 7. If i use a different Setting in Color Navigator from sRGB e.g. AdobeRGB or a softproofing setting with self calibrated ICC, Indesign is very slow on a MacPro2014 with Firepro700. The only way to work flawlessly is to set th emonitor to sRGB Gamut. This behaviour is only in )ndesign, not Photoshop.  So i cannot work with calibrated monitors in Indesign. Now i have a 5000$ Monitor and can only work with it like on a 200$ Monitor. WHAT A SHAME, ADOBE. WHAT A SHAME ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me for the 2020 version. But with install of the 2021 version of InDesign, the lagging and slowdown started again, and I'm not finding any screen color option that fixes it. It is extremely frustrating to deal with and vastly slows down my work; I'm also a Mac Pro, LG Ultra Fine Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes yes yes! I don't even have a similar hardware configuration. I'm on an older MacBook Pro.

But I picked the top color profile (there were three with the same generic name, and I changed from the second to the first). I haven't thought about color profiles in 15 years, but I just followed instructions.

I didn't even have to quit and relaunch anything -- not even InDesign -- and zippppp!

I've been using InDesign since v1.5, and Macs since 1984, (and y'know the internet since about 1995). This is the BEST fix I've found since forever!

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU to all who suggested this fix. Boy should Adobe hang its head in SHAME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a MacOS Apple Issue. Same behaviour and solution for other software like "Vuescan"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went trough a nightmare while editing a customer provided file. I rarely use Indesign and it started acting so slow,  basically on every text edit that I had to do. All I had was a loading forever return.  I tryed many of the sugested moves to improve Indesign; unistalling, reinstalling diferent versions, changing to RGB, renaming files in Library... + reseting from desk app. 

I found that it was only acting like it with one file that had stroked outlines in the character styles. First I took out the text field I was working on hoping that it would solve with no luck. After strugling a lot, I decided to aliminate stroke from every text style.

That fixed it!!!!

I have to place the strokes after I am done with edits.  At least I have this project moving on!!!

Best of luck and hope someone gets benefited. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For those who still have performance issues with Indesign, check these two things.

1) If you use the "Document Fonts" folder, it must NOT contain active system fonts (such as ".dfont" or ".ttc").

2) If you notice slowdowns when insert photos, check the image in Photoshop.
Open the image (in Photoshop) then under "File > File Info > Photoshop" the "History" must be empty, otherwise you must delete this metadata, because Indesign reads all this text and becomes unusable.

To delete the metadata you can do it with a javascript (made by your own) or with Exiftool together with jExifToolGUI.

P.S.: If you are creating these images, check in Photoshop preferences that "History Log" must be disabled (or if you need it enabled, you can enable the "Text file" item, so nothing is written inside the image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines