• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 16.0 — New document - won't create

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated my InDesign to 16.0. When I create a new document, put in all required settings and click 'create'. Nothing happens. No new doc, nothing. Tried uninstalling the App and still the same problem. Running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 on an iMac Pro. Never had an issue like this before. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

This is NOT happening for the vast majority of InDesign users or the forums would be flooded with messages.

First thing to try is restoring your InDesign preferences:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...www.rockymountaintraining.com › Adobe InDesign

If that doesn't work, uninstall and then reinstall InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw another post like this. I'm wondering if it's a bug. Does this happen when you use one of their presets?

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT happening for the vast majority of InDesign users or the forums would be flooded with messages.

First thing to try is restoring your InDesign preferences:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...www.rockymountaintraining.com › Adobe InDe...

If that doesn't work, uninstall and then reinstall InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve. I deleted the Adobe InDesign preferences and now working fine.

regards

Stuart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I don't really use InDesign all that much any longer, everyone would do well to SEARCH the forum for Steve Werner's posts as most of your inquiries can be answered by something he's said in the past. A while back I was so sure of myself I posted that something Steve said was wrong on every level. Nancy O'shea pointed out what I was missing, and I believe I posted an apology to Steve. Steve should change his profile name from Steve Werner to STEVE KNOWS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done all of the suggested steps. Still happens on my work account in Mojave 10.14.6 as well as my personal account in Big Sur - it is definitely a problem. I currently have to either open an existing file, delete the contents and change parameters to be a new doc or use ID2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too. It's definitely something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please indicate your version of InDesign and OS and also the amount of RAM you have.

Presumably you mean you can't create a new document?

Have you tried resetting your InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the problem is still there unfortunately. Despite deleting the InDesign preferences, re-installing the application via Creative Cloud to InDesign 2021 (16.0), when I try to create a new document, put in all the page specs, guides etc, click 'create' then nothing happens. It did work when I first did the recommended steps, but it is happening again. I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on an iMac Pro with 32 GB memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling doesn't really reinstall it from scratch - it retains all the folders/setup files and just does a soft-install. 

There is a Cleaner tool https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html 

Try that and let me know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Try that and let me know how you get on."

Let us know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course - sorry Derek - it's early here in Ireland, tiredness makes for poor decisions!
(well I was up early with my dog who isn't well at the moment)

How are things? Hope all is well and happy holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All well here, thanks! 

Have a good Christmas!

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone:
I have the same problem others have been having. I've done everything, including cleaning my InDesign off my hard drive and it STILL will not work correctly.
I would welcome any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening to me since upgrading, so frustrating and I have re installed, and restored preferences. Have to open a recent document then create what I want from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

It might be worth using Adobe Cleaner to remove InDesign and reinstall.

(Do you mean you reset InDesign back to the factory defaults?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've done everything you've suggested and it still will not work correctly. Creating a new document causes it to freeze up.

Any additional suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pauline –

Can you answer the questions first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated InDesign to 16.1.0.20 on an iMac 27inch running macOS Big Sur 11.2 and I have exactly the same problem. I'm unable to create a new document from either the Templates section or via File > New > Document. Despite deleting the preferences (which failed), then uninstalling and reinstalling the application the only way that I can create a new document is to open one saved in a previous version and edit that. It's clearly a continusing issue that needs to be addressed. Is it common to both Mac and Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post above in regards to Creative Cloud Cleaner.

Please try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it's happening to me as well. Quite frustrating. InDesign 16.0.2 will not create a new document. I have to open an old document and save as. Creative Cloud is always being updated to latest version. I'm working in Big Sur on an iMac. Reboot... the works... still no new document created. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post above in regards to CC Cleaner Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines