• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 crashes immediately upon startup

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago InDesign started crashing immediately upon startup. I competely wiped my Windows 10 system and started from scratch, ran the required updates, installed Creative Cloud, installed InDesign first, tried to run it, and still get the same result.

So. Frustrated.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Wow, sounds horribly frustrating. It's going to be a process of elimination and you've probably tried most everything already. When you wiped Windows 10, did you go back to a restore point where InDesign was working or did you reinstall Windows 10? Did that update to the latest Windows 10? You might need to roll back to an earlier version. Have you tried exiting (quit) all the way out of Creative Cloud and then launching InDesign from your Start menu with "run as administrator" (right click and

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Hi Jain,

Thanks for the reply! 

So I did go through all of those things. I didn't restore back to a point, I just reinstalled Windows 10, but I also brought over my old user profile. I created a new Administrator user profile on my computer to see if that had anything to do with it, and InDesign ran fine there. I decided to wipe Windows again, but this time not bring over my user profile (it's been a long day!) Once I loaded in a fresh user profile, got Windows completely updated, installed Crea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, sounds horribly frustrating. It's going to be a process of elimination and you've probably tried most everything already. When you wiped Windows 10, did you go back to a restore point where InDesign was working or did you reinstall Windows 10? Did that update to the latest Windows 10? You might need to roll back to an earlier version. Have you tried exiting (quit) all the way out of Creative Cloud and then launching InDesign from your Start menu with "run as administrator" (right click and then it's under More). Have you checked Task Manager to make sure there isn't a duplicate or previous version running? Make sure you have ended the task there before trying the direct route. Another thing is to shut your computer all the way down (not a restart) and let it sit for five minutes. When is the last time you ran a Windows Disk Clean up? Sometimes there is just too much being held in virtual memory. I know it sounds obvious and these are my crazy ways to fix things but it's all worth a shot. Let us know what else you've tried. Fingers crossed for you!

One more thing: Make sure you don't have any Adobe programs set in your Start up menu. It will take longer to load them the first time you start up again but I've found that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain,

Thanks for the reply! 

So I did go through all of those things. I didn't restore back to a point, I just reinstalled Windows 10, but I also brought over my old user profile. I created a new Administrator user profile on my computer to see if that had anything to do with it, and InDesign ran fine there. I decided to wipe Windows again, but this time not bring over my user profile (it's been a long day!) Once I loaded in a fresh user profile, got Windows completely updated, installed Creative Cloud, and installed InDesign, it worked again!

It must have something to do with a corrupted file somewhere in the user profile. I deleted all the files and folders that all of the threads recommended, but ultimately, there was something that InDesign didn't like about the user profile. All of the other Creative Cloud software worked fine, but InDesign didn't like something.

Hopefully this fixes it for the long-term!

Thanks again for responding!

Take care,

Jarred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jarred,

I'm so glad this fixed the problem. That's terrific! I know that user profiles have created issues in the past for me. It's crazy when I am the only administrator user but some applications still think I need to "run as administrator" to work. I guess it has to do with the default way permissions are assigned, or as you say, some type of corruption with a user profile, who knows! The main thing is you are back up and running again and if anyone else experiences the same thing, we can suggest creating a new admin profile. Thanks for letting us know. Have a great week.

Best,

~ Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I'm on a mac and have reinstalled all adobe CC stuff, my mac OS and all other adobe apps work fine but not InDesign. Just freezes on startup. sometimes I can open a file but it just freezes after that. I did all the usual renaming of caches and pref files and folders as well as the above and nothing. Any ideas guys? Works backed up over 2 days now. I am literally strapped and without any solutions from Adobe.

I'm on InDesign 16.2.1 and have downgraded to old versions to no avail. have thrown out fonts and tried other documents. nothing works....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines