• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 Crashes on launch on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded InDesign to InDesign 2021 v16.0 this morning and it will not open.

It just fails to open (while the start-up screen says "Starting up Service Registry).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no change.

I have Windows 10 64-bit operating system.

Any advice on how to get it to work would be appreciated.

Dennis

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. App does not open. Had to install an old version to get my files. Completely unusable.

Thanks ADOBE....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Apologies for the delayed response. We'll be happy to help. Would you mind sharing the version of the OS & Illustrator? Do you get any specific error while launching the file?

Additionally, please try troubleshooting steps suggested on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/advanced-troubleshooting-for-launch-issues/td-p/11394034?pag...) & let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue as I'm using windows 10 with indesign 2021, I can not open indesign files which only appears circle with my mouse for few seconds then disappear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I finally found a solution.
I don't know what happened and why, but I figured out how to make it work (I had an issue with Dropbox desktop app that stopped working either after Win update, Dropbox update or when I did a win restore from a system restore point, I'm not sure).
After some reasearch, with system event error code I got when I tried to start/reinstall Dropbox I found out that for some unknown reason Windows user can get corrupted, so to speak. And the only thing that worked for me with new version(s) of InDesign was to install it on a hidden admin user (I'm not flying all over the place, bear with me). The only way to "restore" user that I found on Microsoft support is to actually create a new one. This is quite a pain in the ** as a lot of apps will need to get reinstalled, but it worked. On the newly created Windows user (admin, of course) I managed to start both the new InDesign and Dropbox. 
It's fairly easy to create a new user with admin privileges, but just in case, here are step by step instructions on Microsoft support webiste:
Fix a corrupted user profile Windows Support 
(there are two options, mine was the second one - workgroup computer).

Hope this will help (if it doesn't, you can always delete the new user).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really sad that a company as huge as adobe has it's subscribers/purchasers doing all the work, instead of actually making a product that works the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had no luck install v16+, my whole machine locks up. I as well have dropbox.

Is this the only way to get the newest version of InDesign to work? Has there been any update to a better resolution?

I havent done any system restore's that could potentially corrupt the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will get more help with a new discussion. Start one and supply full system specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, I did and no response... its long buried now... it happens i get it.

This thread was in line with my issue which is why I am seeing where people are at with the issue now.

Trying to go two steps forward without the 1 step back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay...let's try here. What are your system specs? RAM? Full build of Windows 10? SSD? Free space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windows 10

version 2004 build 19041.867

128 gb ram, yes ssd... 200+GB free

This is only on 16+ ID, it locks the whole machine, so no windows log file on the particular event. 15.1.3 is fine. Every other cc product is fine. Everythign short of a complete wipe... ive taken out programs, extensions, fonts, ACC cleaner, removed preferences a dozen times, gfx driver (2080ti) is current as well. ID 16.1 crashes in safe mode, but does not freeze the whole machine, so it lets me generate a crash report. the forum is not letting me attach the txt file though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been dealing with the same issue for a while.. I'm glad I'm still not the only person having problems with the latest version of InDesign in the same way.  Complete crash.. no windows log file.

Frustrating as anything, especially since we're paying to use the latest and the greatest programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd recommend you to connect with Adobe technical support(https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html). Please click on the chat icon at the bottom of the page to begin the conversation to the team. Team here will be able to assist you remotely on a live session.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you I did.

For anyone who may be in my situation, the issue was fixed by removing the UXP folder from appdata. We moved it to the desktop and the newest version works fine. It was conflicting with out-of-date ID plugins. All my uninstalls and cleanings still kept the folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have to add that the new InDesign version 2023 (18) works properly on the same Windows setup (user) versions 16 and 17 wouldn't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not pleased AT ALL.

My InDesign (Win10 Professional / NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti and enough resources on my system) freezes on StartUp since 4 months. Every time. And don't give me that NONSENSE of "Delete yor preferences" BLAH!, cause I DID! Now it freezes at "Starting up Service Registry". I have to reboot my system and then start inDesign before everything else has loaded.

It is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE to pay for an ABO for applications which become more and more unreliable and let me think they're BETA-versions. I work professionally with your programs since about 20 years. I never experienced that level of problems before you switched to this CC-online-bs. And, frankly, "DEAR" support team...  it is not MY responsibility to fix YOUR programming faults by manipulating system parameters, deleting preference or other files or whatever you want me to do to get YOUR overprized crap running!

I switched from premiere/after fx/prelude/audition to the FAR MORE advanced daVinci studio by blackmagic (268 euro / NO abonnement!). Now I know that a professional application for film editing starts in 10 seconds... and previews of complex projects don't have to freeze...

If I ever find an alternative to inDesign and photoshop somewhere I will deinstall adobe completely. 

GET YOUR SH*T TOGETHER, seriously. I have no time for this. if I pay for an application IT HAS TO WORK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines