Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 Find/Change glyph search not working

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to change all instances of a glyph to a different version of the same glyph within the same font, and can't get the find/change glyph search to work. 

I've tried selecting the glyph I want to change and choosing "Load Selected Glyph in Find" to make sure I have the correct one in the document that I want to replace. I've set my search to all documents, but when I choose the different version of the glyph I want to change to and click "Change All", I get a message that the search is complete and no replacements have been made.

If I load the selected glyph into find, and click "Find Next" I get a message that InDesign can't find a match (regardless of whether I search forward or backward in the document). 

The text is in a primary text frame, but I'm able to use Find/Change without issue for searching for and changing text.

I've tried with different fonts, and different glyphs with no luck. I've also tried loading the glyph into find, and replacing it with a totally different character from a different font, but gotten the same results (no replacements made, and the glyph can't be found by Find).

In the screenshot I tried to replace the style of the lower case 'r'. There are probably close to a hundred of them in the document. What am I missing?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

In the grep find change.

Paste the character you want to find into the find panel.

Insert one instance of the glpyh change into your document.

Copy it.

In the grep change panel. Insert

~c

Or

~C

I can't remember which one is right. So try a few before hitting change all and if it's wrong you can undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the grep find change.

Paste the character you want to find into the find panel.

Insert one instance of the glpyh change into your document.

Copy it.

In the grep change panel. Insert

~c

Or

~C

I can't remember which one is right. So try a few before hitting change all and if it's wrong you can undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! ~c worked perfectly. ~C did change everything, but just replaced all the glyphs with the same original glyph, so no actual glyph changes.

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a wild stab in the dark as I've never had occasion to use Find/Change for glyphs, but I suspect the problem may be related to using alternate glyphs and the unicode identifier, which would be the same for both glyphs. Try changing the Identifier dropdown to GID/CID and see if it makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered the same thing about the unicode identifier being the same. It made no difference changing it to GID/CID, but Eugene's suggestion to use GREP and ~c works perfectly 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for letting me know - it was 5.30 in the morning and I was out walking the dog! 

Glad it worked, for what it's worth the ~c or ~C is to use what is on the clipboard. 

That's why I had you copy the right glyph so that was active on the pasteboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really appreciate it. I use InDesign frequently, but for very limited needs and am not at all familiar with GREP. I have tried to swap out glyphs in bulk so many times, and always given up. Being able to do this will make certain work I do regularly soooooo much easier. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines