Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 getting stuck at 'Creating PDF' when packaging files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 
Is anyone else experiencing this? I am trying to package print files. Everything runs smoothly until it get to the 'Creating pdf' stage in the process. InDesign is all up to date. Please help!!!

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Import and export , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please provide InDesign version and platform in use. This will help debug issue at the earliest.

Regards

Pooja Rathi  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InDesign 2021 16.1, MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you try this with a very simple indesign file, and make sure that it can process the document the whole way through? This will guide us as to whether the problem is with the application or the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi. Ok packaging works on very simple ID file.
• Is it a network problem maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again I have moved all my files and links to the desktop to avoid any network lag, but still the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Are you able to simplify your document by removing pages/graphics ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again 😉 thank you for the help.
So the linked files are hires files for point of sale print. This might be the issue. I can't make them smaller/ simpler because they are for the printer.  I managed to by-pass the issue but just skipping the pdf step.  I've never had this problem before which is a it concerning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens to me all the time with all my versions of indesign... stays stuck at creating pdf and IDML stage.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This could be caused by high resolution bitmap graphics. 
InDesign takes ages to downsample bitmaps (we had this issue on different computers  (at least) in CC 2019 and CC 2022). 

Often times InDesign isn’t able to export the PDF at all. 

To test this, you could disable resampling of bitmap graphics. – This should be enough to circumvent the problem.

A more permanent solution is to scale down the images in Photoshop, so that the effective resolution is below the maximum export resolution (as in the PDF export setting: »Downsampling for images with resolution above xxx ppi«). 

If you want to find out if the problem occurs on a specific page, you could export the PDF from the book panel. As this export isn’t a background task, you can watch the export status and maybe spot the section where it beginns to stall.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines