Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 GREP Question

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a Paragraph style

I'm looking for a GREP command to automate the placement of the command-backslash character typically used in front of the first word in a numbered notes footer to align all other lines in the paragraph with the first word rather than the number.

I use it all the time! But I have no idea what that character is called!  With invisible characters visible, it looks like a little dagger. It would be nice not to have to place it by hand in docs that are all tech specs with heavy annotation!

TIA.

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

You're looking for the Indent to Here character.

https://gomedia.com/tutorials/indesign-quick-tip-align-indent/#:~:text=In%20Adobe%20InDesign%2C%20move%20your,in%20directly%20below%20that%20one.

However - you're better off using Paragraph Styles - and set the Indent and First Line indent.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/tabs-indents.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're looking for the Indent to Here character.

https://gomedia.com/tutorials/indesign-quick-tip-align-indent/#:~:text=In%20Adobe%20InDesign%2C%20mo....

However - you're better off using Paragraph Styles - and set the Indent and First Line indent.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/tabs-indents.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Thak you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's name is "indent to here"

GREP command is  "~i"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will only Find the character and you can do a Find/Replace to insert the indent to here character.

But you can't use GREP to insert it automatically.

Setting up tab indents is the best way to achieve this globally, and makes it flexible to update all tab stops across the document(s) by editing the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You. Of course. I'm so into learning grep I over looked the simple answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to know. Use a thing for 20 years and never know it's name!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By 'first word' you probably mean the first word after the note's number. As Eugene mentioned, you can't use a GREP style. But you can use a simple find/change query (in the Find/Change's GREP tab):

Find what: ^[\d.]+\s?\K

Change to: ~i

Note: this query works only in ID 16.2 (released May 2021) and later. In older versions you need this:

Find what: ^[\d.]+\s?\K(.)

Change to: ~i$1

(That's a $ followed by the number 1 at the end)

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines