Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2022 has several bugs and freezes after a simple enter command

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I've had several Problems with InDesign now. These Problems ocurred both on InDesign 16.4 (I did a downgrade to this after 17.1 crashed all the time) and in 17.1.

Problems that I could minimize after shutting off GPU-Perfomance:

- pink screen for a split second

- text disappearing and only appearing again when I zoom in/out

- after editing a text it showed the old and new text layering over each other

- InDesign 17.1 always crashed because the document had an .ai file embedded, thats why I downgraded

- I couldn't access the menu bar (only in Indesign). For example I want to export something, I click on "file" in the menu bar, it's not opening and when I click again it flickers for a split second and closes the dropdown menu. when I clicked "into the air" while it was open but invisible, it opened a menu but never the one I wanted because I couldn't see it.

The big problem I have right now is with an 80pg magazin. I copy+pasted something in and want to click enter but then the program freezes and I have to force stop InDesign. It always freezes when I do that action. I had other actions before where it froze but I could work around one by typing ot the text instead of pasting it in. Still this is no way to work, and I suspect my file is now corrupted. (This is on InDesign 16.4 and 17.1,

I upgraded again today hoping it would fix this problem, but no)

I am in contact with my local Adobe support on how to set ID back to default settings. All of these Problems reocurred with different files and different versions of InDesign. Reinstalling InDesign didn't work. Deleting the default settings on my own didn't work. I am using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) with MacOS Monterey 12.1.

Do some of you have the same issues? Have you found a solution? And maybe any ideas how I can save my corrupted file? Best Regards

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Hey Guys!

After some research and after finding out that this problem started when Apple intoduced the M1 Chip and then the programs needed to get adjusted for it. So my workplace decided to downgrade for a MacBook Pro (2019) with an intel chip. Now I don't have any problems with InDesign. I know this is a solution not available to everyone, I just wanted to share. I think InDesign for the M1 chip still needs some bug fixes (in my experience) and I'm looking forward to when it works perfectly on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

I have some saved common fixes which I'll post here for you

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

--------------------

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---------------

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

----

Other things could be related to Anti-Virus software running

Or other 3rd party applications installed

It could be font related - corrupt fonts

It could be a number of things really

----

Another option might be to also try creating a new document with the same margins and page size

In your old document you can move these pages to the new document.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iW7ZYx7iv0&ab_channel=InDesignSecrets

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing exactly the same things and trashing Prefs and re-installing InD does not fix them.

InD usually crashes on start-up but when it does boot the biggest problem is that it is extreemly sluggish and menuus often won't open quickly or reliably.

I am running fresh installation of InD 17.1.0.50 new 2021 MacBook Pro M1 pro in Monterey 12.2.1

(No problems with any other Adobe apps.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys!

After some research and after finding out that this problem started when Apple intoduced the M1 Chip and then the programs needed to get adjusted for it. So my workplace decided to downgrade for a MacBook Pro (2019) with an intel chip. Now I don't have any problems with InDesign. I know this is a solution not available to everyone, I just wanted to share. I think InDesign for the M1 chip still needs some bug fixes (in my experience) and I'm looking forward to when it works perfectly on M1! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the M1 chip is the buggy part - InDesign works perfectly well across multiple platforms Mac/Windows on Intel/Arm chips of various degrees etc. with little or no issues. 

Apple need to step up their game. They introduced the new Chip and lots of non-Apple software is problematic on their new devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines