• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2022 is unusable, extremely slow performance on High-End PC

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently and as if by the push of a button, my Indesign 2022 (on Win10) has started to jerk and cannot be touched. I mean, so much so that I can't even save the file anymore because the window won't open. I thought it was the preflight at first, but it's not that either. I have a lot of vectors in my document, but it shouldn't crash like that. I restarted Indesign (by closing it via task manager) and restarted my machine. The PC is very powerful with a 12 core Ryzen, 32 GB Ram and M2 SSD.  Anyone else with this kind of issue? What else can I try please?

Indesign is apparently not able to adapt to the performance of the device, e.g. if many vectors are used, it should also take up a corresponding amount of RAM or CPU power. But when I see that Indesign is so extremely jerky and almost unusable because there are many vector elements in a document, but AT THE SAME TIME the Task Manager shows that Indesign uses only 5% of my CPU and 1 of 32 GB RAM, then I ask myself, what is this crap.

Why the hell is it not able to use the resources that the device provides in such a way that it does not run extremely slowly and is virtually unusable. I don't get it.

--------

Seit kurzem und wie durch einen Knopfdruck ist mein Indesign 2022 angefangen zu ruckeln und lässt sich nicht mehr anfassen. Ich meine, so stark, dass ich nichtmal mehr die Datei speichern kann, weil sich das Fenster nicht öffnet. Ich dachte erst, es läge am Preflight, aber das ist es auch nicht. Ich habe zwar äusserst viele Vektoren in meinem Dokument, aber trotzdem dürfte es nicht derart abstürzen. Mein PC ist mit einem 12-Core Ryzen, 32 GB Ram und M2 SSD äusserst stark. Was kann ich bitte noch probieren?

Indesign ist offenbar nicht in der Lage sich an die Leistung des Geräts anzupassen, z.B. wenn viele Vektoren verwendet werden, sollte es auch entsprechend viel RAM oder CPU Leistung in Anspruch nehmen. Wenn ich aber sehe, dass Indesign so extrem ruckelt und fast nicht bedienbar ist, weil viele Vektor Elemente in einem Dokument liegen, aber GLEICHZEITIG im Task Manager angezeigt wird, dass ID nur 5% CPU und 1 von 32 GB RAM verwendet, dann frage ich mich, was soll der mist.

Warum zur Hölle ist es nicht in der Lage die Ressourcen die das Gerät zur Verfügung stellt so zu nutzen, dass es nicht extremst langsam läuft und quasi unbenutzbar ist. Ich verstehe es nicht.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Piontek,

Du sprichst von Vektor-Elementen. Sind das InDesign-eigene Elemente oder platzierte Grafiken?

Ich habe so einen Abfall der Leistungsfähigkeit dann erlebt, wenn EPS-Dateien platziert waren*, die offenbar permanent von InDesign verarbeit werden, um eine Bildschirmdarstellung aus dem enthaltenen PostScript-Code zu erzeugen.

Falls das bei Dir der Fall sein sollte, könnte man das Problem umgehen, indem man die EPS-Dateien per Adobe Distiller in PDFs konvertiert und diese stattdessen platziert.

* Nicht bei allen EPS-Dateien. Habe noch nicht herausgefunden, was genau das Problem triggert oder ob manche Programme sehr, sehr ungünstigen PostScript-Code schreiben.

Gruß,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly - can't answer why your system can't allocate resources - who knows. 

Do you have 3rd party plugins/fonts installed/peripherals/driver updates/etc? 

Secondly:

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

---

Try turning off the GPU Performance in the InDesign settings.

---

There is an update to InDesign 17.01

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-17-0-1-improved-performance-and-bug-fix...

--

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

---

Rollback to a previous InDeisgn version

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html#:~:text=Open%20the%20Cr....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How many is "a lot" of vectors? 

Do you have any plugins, such as Suitcase, installed? 

I have a 64-GB system with a lowly i7-6700K 4.00 GHz (with an M.2 SSD. I opened a 1000-page book (23 files) and it worked at the expected speed. I did have lots of graphics, but most are raster. The only delay I had was when I saved and closed all the documents (I think it was clearing the undo cache), but this happened in prior versions too.

Unless it's changed, I think InDesign only uses one core and doesn't use the GPU on Windows. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines