• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2022 Lagging and Unresponsive

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some weeks now I have been expriencing InDesign being slow and unresponsive. I open a document and have to wait 15-30 seconds before I can do anything at all. Everything is just frozen. Then, I get working on the document and experience the same thing, but it doesn't last as long..maybe 10 seconds or less. It's super irritating. I've scoured the web and haven't been able to find a cure for it.

I am running Windows 10 with a Ryzen 7 (3.4 Ghz) processor, 16 GB of RAM and 256 GB of free space on my hard drive. I am accessing files on a NAS, but this has never caused me any problems before, so I am seriously doubting that is the issue.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing InDesign. I have also tried deleting the preferences. Makes zero difference. 

Does anyone have any ideas of other things to try? This getting really old.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this occur with all documents or just one or two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences like this?
1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.
If you don't see the question repeat the procedure again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is the procedure I followed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problem. InDesign started crashing yesterday. I updated the latest version (Win). Today I have been able to open the program couple of times. If I manage to open the program and the file I'm working on, it crashes immediately when typing or deleted the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth going back to the previous version of InDesign until the issue is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does a person go back to an earlier version...say 17.01? It seems that the consensus on these forums is that 17.2 is very buggy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samu23815586mlg7_0-1648673379854.png

This is how I managed to find the earlier version on Creative cloud desktop. I had to go all the way back to 16.4 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to 17.01 because I was having a font-not-loading issue with a particular font (also a bug in 17.2). Font loads fine now. I'll soon see whether my other issues are fixed or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other issues are gone after downgrading to 17.01. 

Adobe needs to up their game on squashing bugs before new releases. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a similar issue to mine. My InDesign is not crashing. In between the frustrating times that it becomes unresponsive, it works OK. The frustrating part is that I have to keep waiting for it to respond again so I can carry on with my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was answering Samu23815586mlg7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So was I.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@EdwardCPI if you are on Mac, try turning of GPU performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier 

As stated in my first post, I am on Windows 10.

Also, as stated above, REVERTING to InDesign 17.01 solves both the freezing/lagging problem as well as the "font not found" problem. Both are bugs that were introduced somewhere between 17.01 and 17.2. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problems here on several Windows 11 workstations.

The hang is particularly annoying and reduces my productivity.

Another problem we've noticed is that the PDF tag setting specified in our styles is being changed to H2. Body text gets changed to H2, and other heading levels are also changed to H2. And the styles are always changed to H2.

The only thing that corrects this bug is the Edit All Export Tags from the Paragraph Styles options menu. That seems to make the tag "stick", but choosing the tag from the style's definition Export Tagging section doesn't stick and gets changed to H2 by InDesign.

And the list of recent files when InDesign is launched hasn't been updated for 16 days, so it doesn't show any of the files used since then.

I'm rolling back to 17.01 to see if that corrects these PITA bugs.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines