• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2022 won't start

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first installed ID 2022 it worked as expected. I liked the new screen resolution. But after a few days it simply refused to start. When I click on the icon I see the opening screen momentarily, then it goes away and ID doesn't start. I updated to 17.0.1 and it made no difference. I am running on Windows 10 20H2. Deleting preferences made no difference either. I'd love to be able to run the newest version. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Phil Frank

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

We ended up doing: 

Ctrl + Shift + Alt to get the "delete preferences" prompt. 
This did not allow IND22 to launch.

I then renamed the prefs folder "Version 17.0" from C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign

After this was complete IND22 launched. 

For grins I did place back the old prefs, and the app crashed 😕 

In case it helps anyone... in event viewer we were seeing this error:

Faulting module name: ObjectModel.dll, version: 17.0.1.105

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changes were made to your OS or other programs since it was working?

Have you tried logging out of creative Cloud and back in? How about reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This began over two weeks ago, and since then I have travelled for business and came back in time for Thanksgiving. I don't believe there were any changes to my OS or other programs. I had already uninstalled and reinstalled, to no avail. This morning I updated to 17.0.1, hoping that would help. The initialization screen lasted a bit longer, but I still didn't get any farther. And, as I said, this morning I reset my preferences but ID still wouldn't start. And at that point I posted on the forum. Thanks for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say if you've tried logging out of Creative Cloud. You definitely need to try that.

You should also try doing a clean boot ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-... ) and see if it will start without background programs.

Didi you run the cleaner tool before reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already tried again after logging out of Creative Cloud. And now I have also tried after doing a clean boot, with the same result. I don't know what the cleaner tool is. I'm happy to try to run it after uninstalling again if I know how to find it. Also, in case it matters, I'm running the ME version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cleaner tool is here: Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to solve installation problems 

And yes, it might be significant that you are running ME, though I don't know of anything specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. Are you using an Antivirus? If yes, please try adding the InDesign as an exception in its setting and check if it is working or not.

Also, in addition to @Peter Spier suggestion, you may try running the app in the Hidden Admin account (Windows) and see if it is working there or not.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the help. I have uninstalled, run the cleaner tool, and reinstalled. I tried running the app in the Hidden Admin account and none of these made any difference. My company controls the antivirus and I have no user interface for that. The strange thing, to me at least, is that the app was working fine for a few days and then suddenly not. I can still run ID 2021 just fine, so I can still work, but not 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should get your IT department on this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can certainly try that. Any suggestions as to what they might be looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bet is it's something to do with a background app, like the anti-virus, but they would be in a position ot know what was changed since it stopped working and obviously this is afecting your ability to work so they have a vested interest in fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. I'll see what they can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous versions of Illustrator, there was a "call service" that would run on startup the would check in with some Adobe server. The antivirus software our IT used (blanking on the name - sorry) was seeing the communication as malicious and shutting down the application. I had to go into the program package contents and copy a file from from a previous version & replace on the newer version to get it to work. You can ask your IT if there is trafffic from your computer when you launch that is being detected and blocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. It is very interesting. But I'm curious. Why would this apply to 2022 when 2021 still opens just fine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know enough about the tech end of it to explain, but it happened to me with 2018 / 2019. The virus software updates at a slower rate and hadn't captured the whitelisting of that "call service"/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Phil5C2B, I understand that 2022 is not opening, but 2021 is opening fine. This could be due to one of the following reasons:

• Corrupted Installation
  • Permission issues
  • Antivirus, firewall, windows defender, or third-party interference with the app. (If this is the reason, then 2021 must be whitelisted that is why it is opening, and 2022 is not.
  • Driver, OS update, or C++ Distributable is not compatible with the current version of the app.
    I hope this helps your IT team track down the issue. If not, then please ask them to contact Adobe technical support team (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen). The team here would be able to perform remote troubleshooting and assist accordingly.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone. I have opened a conversation with my IT team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the rest of the system specs? RAM, Processor, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for joining in. RAM: 32gb. Windows 10 64 bit. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz. 

And I'm still waiting to hear back from my IT people. I think it's about time to rattle the cage a bit harder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have admin rights on that machine? If not, I would start there; if it works, you might have a permissions issue somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do have admin rights on the machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also check to see if it runs in a new user account on the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my IT guy finally got a chance to look at the situation. He poked around in places that I didn't know I had places, and then trashed my preferences by deleting the whole Version 17.0-ME folder, which he said does a more complete job than CTRL-SHIFT-ALT, and now 2022 runs again. But I'll need to pay close attention so that I can notice what change I make that may break it again, and then not do that. Or maybe I can compare the two folders and see if I can discern a difference.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We ended up doing: 

Ctrl + Shift + Alt to get the "delete preferences" prompt. 
This did not allow IND22 to launch.

I then renamed the prefs folder "Version 17.0" from C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign

After this was complete IND22 launched. 

For grins I did place back the old prefs, and the app crashed 😕 

In case it helps anyone... in event viewer we were seeing this error:

Faulting module name: ObjectModel.dll, version: 17.0.1.105

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines