InDesign 6 Slideshow Export to Epub

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to prepare my Indesign 6 slideshow to export to epub. after opening the epub file in a reader, the slideshow is broken in pages and text and graphics scattered throughout the pages. It should be a single page and slideshow with previous and next buttons. I did all the setup for the slideshow images as an object as slideshow and set up the buttons with action linked to the slideshow. The SWF preview shows it working properly, but exporting to the epub is not giving me what I expected. What am I doing wrong. It is a school assignment I need to turn in and I cannot get help for this there. Please advise.

Thank you,

Kenocom

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything in a document for export to EPUB must be anchored in a single text flow. You can't simply put unanchored objects (text frames, image frames, buttons, etc.) on a layout page as you can for print.

Create a master page with a primary text frame. Insert a page using that master at the beginning of the document. Cut and paste all of your content into anchored text in that single, flowing frame. Once everything is anchored, you can export (to a fixed-layout EPUB, I assume) to check the rough layout, then rebuild each page/slide visually without disturbing the anchor.

An anchor style that breaks to a new page will put each group of anchored items on the right "slide." Using that as a page title is the easiest way to make it part of your flow.

|| Word & InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): a Professional Guide (Amazon)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think FXL ePub is available in InDesign CS6 (if that's the version you have).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? CS6 had nothing but very rudimentary tools for this. You're now 9 full versions out of date.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gents, if the project was assigned by the school, it's likely to be on an available/assigned platform and we have to assume the goal is  considered achievable.

If the OP is on his own road, either in using ID at all or in using the version that's available, it may not be useful to suggest solutions that require some later version.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NitroPress -- I've found it's not unusual to see posts on this forum from students being assigned projects that they are unable to fulfil.

I would have thought it is useful to explain why, if a student has been assigned a project that they would not be able to undertake it with in their particular InDesign version. Otherwise it is extremely frustrating and off-putting.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Derek on this. We've seen this more times than I can count.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. For the record, I've been reading this forum for quite a long time, just not posting much until recently.

When a student posts and identifies problems they're having with an assignment, I'm not sure it's useful to tell them they're doing the wrong thing on the wrong version or the wrong platform. Until they clarify what's their choice and what's been assigned, I think it's more helpful to answer the question they asked, with all due caveats, rather than treat them like a wannabe pro who has made poor choices.

That said, I'd bet the majority of the OP's problems are as I first addressed, not anchoring all the elements in the text flow but pasting them up page by page... which is the same fault regardless of version or features in use.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be useful to ask the OP why they are using such an old version. Was it supplied by the school? Are they aware of the student price for the Creative Cloud? Etc. (If it is supplied by the school--that opens up a number of other questions...)

David Creamer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Professional, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes to all this. (Self-identified) student questions can't necessarily be treated the way we answer questions by nominal pros and industry users. If someone said "I'm doing some complex project for a client on CS6, etc." it would be right to question their approach. (I'm sometimes floored by questions here that intersect "doing this for a client/employer" and "uh, you really should know that.")

But in teaching and mentoring students through the community college level, I've found that not every class has the luxury of a current CC subscription, and often has only something like CS6 or another older standalone version to offer their students. So the questions have to be answered in a context of what's being asked, not in second-guessing the student, the tools or even the teacher. (And yes, sometimes the teachers are dimbulbs asking the impossible.)

So this question all comes down to whether the OP is following a class assignment and thus should have a workable path to success, or for some reason has overreached or chosen the wrong tool and techniques for his project.

kennethf18232877, can you clarify your needs if the first post didn't set you on the right road?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your basic premise, Nitro--help the OP with what they have. (You don't mind if I call you Nitro, do you? 😁) However, I don't see where the OP answered any questions beyond stating it is a student project.

David Creamer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Professional, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"...but ya doesn't have to call me Johnson." 🙂

The TL;DR here is that some questions need to be answered as asked, not from some other idealized viewpoint. There's a tendency to go to that viewpoint, and suggest advanced, technical solutions over a simple yes/no/use search-and-replace.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines