InDesign / Adobe Acrobat CC: Can't Create Accessible Links

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am creating an accessible PDF which includes some hyperlinks, but when I test them using VoiceOver, nothing happens (i.e. the text is read, but VO doesn't recognise the link or give an option to open it). 

I have designed the PDF in InDesign CC. The links are within bullet points, and are tagged as 'bullets' in InDesign, within an Article set up in the order I want the document to be read. Within InDesign I have added alt text to the hyperlink.

To view it, I am opening in Preview and viewing at Single Page view, and the text reads perfectly – apart from the links. I have also tried 'VO + command + L' (Next link) and nothing happens. 

I have also tried removing them and adding directly in Adobe Acrobat CC using the 'Create Link' tool (following this guide https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/create-verify-pdf-accessibility.html).

So far I have had no success, can anyone help? Thanks so much in advance

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voiceover in Preview does not read out aloud as it should, neither does Acrobats build-in 'voice'. You should test with dedicated software that understands the tag-structure, choose Jaws and check it with that. Forget about Preview, very bad app.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to testing with JAWS, also test with NVDA, which is a freebie. Both screen readers are only on Windows, nothing on Mac.

More info about testing is at https://www.pubcom.com/blog/2019_04-05/checking-with-screenreaders.shtml

Bevi Chagnon | PubCom | Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents | Books & Classes | InDesign | PDFs | Office |

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines