• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign and Data Merge

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a card design double sided, it is for a child sponsorship in Haiti, I need to merge with a spreadsheet that has over 300 kids, I go through the steps and it either puts the same photo and info on every page or just one.

So my question is when I set up the InDesign Document how do I set it up, do I set over 300 Pages? Do I set up the copy on each page or will it place it on every page, do I leave all but the first page blank?

Can someone list the steps in simple language? Every thing I look up starts after the indesign document is created and I am I will add a copy of the layout.

It is a two sided document printed front and back 300 times plus.

Final Haiti_Page_2.jpgFinal Haiti_Page_1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the name of each photo entered into the source data? For your example, the image used is named: child1.jpg. Is there a column in spreadsheet designated for the corresponding photo, along with the other data to be used?

NameGradeBirthday@photo

Emmanuel

69/14/03child1.jpg
Maria57/25/05maria.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The data seems to work, when I choose, name, image ect, but when I hit preview it is only on the first page and not the second.

Should all the other pages just have background and I tag just the first page for Data Merge?

What I am trying to figure out is do I need to put the copy on every page and an image box or just on the first?

How do I lay out the InDesign part of it?

Then the data merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is a column in for each image with corresponding information.

It changes on the InDesign part on page one but does not flow to the other pages changing it for each child.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the back page the same for all of the cards?

For the data merge to work, it can only have one page in the merge template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the same layout only the names and some info changes, yes it is the same.

Do you mean one page with info on it and all the rest of the pages with only the background? Example page 1 and two, two having the info you tag for data merge and the rest of the pages just the background?

Or do you mean just two pages period with the second page having the data merge info?

what are the steps once I choose one of these?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not true, you can have multiple page data merges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what I need to know is if I have 300 kids that have 2 pages each, one page has interchangeable information (data merge) how should the InDesign be based on the image above.

1. Do we have the information and picture just on one page? (the second one the back) and have 298 pages with just the background image?

2. Or do we have 300 kids with a page with info on it for each being 600 pages with the interchangeable information (data merge) on the second page for each.

3. Or is there only two pages with the info on the second page and it automatically creates a page for each kid based on those two pages?

I am not sure I have the indesign document right? I tried the data merge and it worked for page one only and the other 300 plus pages stayed the same.

Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at screen shot: You will need a facing page master. This will need to be arranged with the liquid layout tool so the bleed elements will not interfere with each other after the merge. Insert the variable placeholders as shown in red. Variable and static elements are placed on each of the master pages. Use layers for static and variable elements. The photo header needs to start with @ in the source data. The front could have a variable as well. This example is showing a printer spread: 4-1 on right master, 2-3 on left master. For 300 record source file, this will produce a 600 page Indesign document or 600 page exported PDF, outside1, inside1, outside2, outside2, etc. The source .csv or .txt file needs saved in same folder/directory as the images.

datamerge.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to files used in example data merge:

https://adobe.ly/2BXNSuL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your information helped a great deal, I was able to figure it out using your information and doing the following.

1. I deleted the double Master page and I made a Master A and a Master B.

2. I put the backgrounds on the two masters.

3. I put the editable tagged info for data merge on the regular page.

The reason it was not working was the backgrounds were on the regular page, now it is done in NO time, I am very happy and I thank

you for your help, could not have done it without you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines