• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign and multiple monitors

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked for threads about this and haven't seen any, so here goes.

I am running InDesign 13.1 on a MacPro running OS 10.13.3.

I have three Dell monitors, the right one is vertical and it has the OS Menu bar and some [long] InDesign palettes.

The center is horizontal and holds the Application Frame, the left monitor is horizontal and holds a number of InDesign palettes.

I want the Application Frame to open on my center monitor at launch -- it opens on my right-most monitor so I have to move it every morning.

I know it CAN work because it works for Photoshop [19.1.2] and Illustrator [22.1] plus it DID work with InDesign 2017 [12.1.0].

I have saved a custom workspace many times to no avail.

It worked with InDesign 2017, so is it an InDesign 2018 thing?

Any ideas?

Gracias

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

HI Gunzablazin8591,

Ideally InDesign and other Adobe applications too, should open on the monitor where it was closed last time.

• Open Adobe InDesign.
  • Drag the InDesign window to the monitor you would like it to open on when launched.
  • Make certain the window is not maximized.
  • Close Adobe InDesign.
  • TEST: The next time you open Adobe InDesign it should open in your desired monitor.

If it is not opening on desired monitor , please try setting the second monitor as your primary screen  and check how it work

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the Application Frame always sat wherever the main (OS) window bar was. But you said it worked with 2017...maybe try making the center monitor the one with the menu bar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Gunzablazin8591,

Ideally InDesign and other Adobe applications too, should open on the monitor where it was closed last time.

• Open Adobe InDesign.
  • Drag the InDesign window to the monitor you would like it to open on when launched.
  • Make certain the window is not maximized.
  • Close Adobe InDesign.
  • TEST: The next time you open Adobe InDesign it should open in your desired monitor.

If it is not opening on desired monitor , please try setting the second monitor as your primary screen  and check how it works?

Use multiple displays with your Mac - Apple Support

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This certainly doesn’t work on Windows. InDesign on a multi monitor system on Windows is absolute travesty unless both monitors are identical and set to identical scaling percentages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Srishti,

Shortly after I posted this question it worked, and I 'm thinking it was likely due to doing [absentmindedly] what you have outlined here.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREAT SCOTT! I found the answer!!!! It took me a while to figure out. It bugged me for so long. GO TO 

WINDOW >> APPLICATION FRAME

When "unchecked" it keeps it locked on the one monitor. When Checked, you can move the application frame to another monitor. 

Happy Designing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this depends on what you mean by 'application frame'. The window itself, with the document you are working on, can be moved freely around. But, at least for me, that 'application frame' is either stuck on the wrong monitor, or it is not there at all (unchecked for 'application frame'). So for me, it is a 'fix', but not at good one at all ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! Project window moves freely to second monitor, but application tool bars etc. remain welded to first. Maddening!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been havig the same problem: project window moves freely to second monitor, but application tool bars etc. remain welded to first. Clicking Apllication Frame on worked for me. It freed up the tool bars and frame so that the whole thing moves to the other screen together.  THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that @brookeh94209924 Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I had same issue with project window moves freely to second monitor, but application tool bars etc. remain welded to first. I tried the solution of clicking aplication frame, but it doesn't worked to me. I am using MacOS Monterey Version 12.5.1, M1 Pro chip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you resolved the issue yet? I find myself having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated, then deinstalled the app, when reinstalled and restarted the problem was resolved. Seems dumb, but it might have been a bug they fixed in update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It resolved after rised the issue in September. However, this problem happens again in October. I reinstalled the InDesign, it still not working. Struggling right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue here, same system set up. Clicking Application Frame does not work. I'm constantly trying to fix my InDesign workspace every day, and it doesn't help that I switch to different types of second monitors when I'm working from home vs. going into the office and using theirs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! That was not intuitive at all, lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh the same dumb thing is happening again - working page won't move to second monitor - and the deinstall fix doesn't work this time. Arrgh. Why why why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This keeps happenning again and again. Why this issue hasn't been fixed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update just broke this for me, I cannot get InDesign to move to 2nd monitor no matter if Application Frame is checked or unchecked. Driving me crazy and majorly slowing down my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok update this seems to have patched it for me (for now)

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/the-indesign-application-frame-gets-stuck-outsid...

Moving my second monitor to "below" my main monitor in the display settings (even tho technically that's now how they're arranged) seems to allow Indesign to free up the application frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was driving me nuts. What an absolutely asinine solution – but it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well. Just purchased a refurbished Macbook Pro M2. Running Ventura, and using INDD 2023. I cannot move the application frame off my main computer to my external. I can drag the window and pallettes, but NOT the control center bar at the top. That remains on my MacBook. Having a heck of a time getting any work done! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem since I bought a new Apple M2 Pro. When i use InDesign the application panels open on my second monitor even when my primary monitor has been set. So everything is all on the wrong screen when expanded to use. 

If you go to >Indesign > Prefernces > User Interface Scaling, in the first pane there is UI Sizing. I decreased this down one and then resterted like it prompted, and then it worked. Everything is quite small, but it does the trick. It's not the size I want, but i am used to it now. This thread has been on for so long, that Adobe really need to pull their finger out, as we pay a fortube for this software! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @StuMed,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Thank you for sharing the solution that worked for you. You can also try the suggestions shared in this Apple Community Disucssion.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bit of an old thread you're linking us to. This issue has been going on for donkey years. The only way I can get round it is by disconnecting and reconnecting my display but this doesn't always work. Hopefully one day Adobe software will play nice with MacOS....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines