• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Backwards Compatibility in CS5 an MAJOR issue

New Here ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a print designer who works in InDesign. I bought CS3 Design Premium in late summer of 2008. Shortly thereafter CS4 came out, but after just having forked out a big chunk of change, I decided against upgrading to CS4 right away. Recently I considered upgrading but then heard CS5 was coming out so I decided to postpone the upgrade and wait for the new software. I've just checked out the trial version of CS5 InDesign and after speaking with Adobe Support have come to the conclusion that I can't upgrade to CS5. Why? BACKWARDS compatibility to CS3. The previously offered export features that supplied a path for backwards compatibility via an .inx file are gone.

I design freelance for a lot of different customers and once the design is complete, I have to deliver the InDesign file along with all associated fonts ad images to my clients. Most of my clients are still on CS3. If I upgrade to CS5 I will instantly not be able to work for 2/3 of my clients, as I will have no means by which to save a file backwards to CS3. I was informed by Adobe support that I would need to buy CS4 and CS5, as I could save my CS5 file in the IDML format and open it in CS4 and then I could save the file from CS4 as an INX file and open that is CS3. ARE THEY INSANE??? First off that requires keeping 3 version of InDesign up and running on my machine all of the time and secondly, why should I have to buy CS4 when I'm paying an additional fee to upgrade to CS5 because I didn't upgrade from CS4? This is so screwed up that it has to be an oversight---please tell me there is a patch in the works!!!

PS- I've never posted to a forum before, so if I have broken any rules of forum etiquette or offended in any way, I offer my apologies now and if I (and the Adobe Support staff I spoke to) have overlooked something, please enlighten me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Just semantics, Cynthia.

Retail, commercial. Same thing.

Upgrades are exactly the same as their full commercial/retail counterparts except for the price.

Adobe also has student and academic pricing.

The link I supplied you with is for the Mac CS3 to CS4 Design Premium upgrade and assumes that you have one of the CS3 suites.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 351 Replies 351
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed but my rationale is slightly less micro in nature... I guestimate that $10 saved in time on say 50 jobs/year pays the freight on a standard CS package upgrade. I've heard in PS circles that the new content-aware fill feature alone justifies the expense.

Sliced differently, same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except in Europe where you pay nearly double for the exact same software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to worry; will be the same here too within the next few years, if Obama gets his way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010

I really don't understand why back saving could be done for years with PageMaker and Quark and now it's too difficult or expensive for

InDesign? Where are those writers? That said I feel like it's more of a marketing plan to have people be forced to continually upgrade

more frequently. You can have your opinion and I can have mine.

You may not care, but it is what it is.

You've ignored every point made by everyone in this very lengthy thread.

Nobody is saying it's not a problem for some, but for the majority of users it's not. And it's just not that simple.

Some of the top scripters and plugin writers have looked into the possibility of writing something to accomplish this task and have decided not to bother. Why? Because it's simply too difficult to do and the same people complaining about the lack of backsaving would be the same ones complaining that the solution to the problem would be too expensive.

As for your question about Illustrator saving back I'd ask how come Illustrator doesn't have grep styles? After all, InDesign does. Why doesn't Illustrator have split and span colums for text? InDesign does.

Get the idea?

Of course you're free to beat this poor dead horse a bit further, but since it's obvious you didn't read the whole thread I'll help you out here and point you to Adobe's official feature request page: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what's wrong with that?

Pagemaker's history and Quark, well, um, uh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010

No sense --- not sure what you are saying .... they no longer are "the" program because they back saved or that a marketing strategy took them out?

And what's wrong with that?

Pagemaker's history and Quark, well, um, uh...

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't marketing strategy that took them out. You can still buy either one if you like, but there will be no future development for PM becasue ID is a better product and the PM market has disappeared, rendering it unprofitable to continue development. Quark is still battling, but their market share is eroding, and you can't blame that on anyone but Quark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010

Yes, I agree... didn't have anything to do with back saving or not. ID is absolutely the top... wish it had it all.

It wasn't marketing strategy that took them out. You can still buy either one if you like, but there will be no future development for PM becasue ID is a better product and the PM market has disappeared, rendering it unprofitable to continue development. Quark is still battling, but their market share is eroding, and you can't blame that on anyone but Quark.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with making a buck today?; Adobe's got PDG products; they wouldn't be where they are if they were Quarkish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. I don't see anyone complaining stating that they work for free.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010

Of course... don't we all..... that's taking me full circle to my issues of losing clients because of not having abilities like quickly printing a booklet from home for client proofing

or back saving for a printer who comissioned me to do a book for his future use. I'm an Adobe user since Illustrator 2 and know what I am missing from the past.... wish some things were still in Adobe's hybrid PageMaker/Quark ... wish they would have kept a few time saving options they omitted -- that's all -- not trying to ruffle anyone. : )

What's wrong with making a buck today?; Adobe's got PDG products; they wouldn't be where they are if they were Quarkish.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which takes us back to my original point.

Anyone in the business needs to have every recent version (anyone needing CS2 or earlier will have to find someone else).

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gee Bob... I that that 'goes without saying'....

))))))))))))))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010

I'm a small in-home studio, very good, and I live in a tiny (not so up-to-date) area. It's wonderful and family oriented. Printers are small as well. I guess the bottom line is I object to losing the small to medium businesses. I may over react and over wish that the "big boys" value and service us as well as the multi-buck corps. There is an ever widening gap between the mega money makers and the common work force. The middle is becoming extinct. Ha, talk about a tangent. Yea, yea, my options are becoming more limited.... Everyone's falling into the Walmart mentality and as a fine artist as well..... business sucks.... I'm over reacting - I know - but every time I turn around I see something else being taken away from the middle businesses -- boo hoo. I'm done complaining.... off to soccer... but always wishing ...

Which takes us back to my original point.

Anyone in the business needs to have every recent version (anyone needing CS2 or earlier will have to find someone else).

Bob

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

K.Eddy wrote:

... that's taking me full circle to my issues of losing clients because of not having abilities like quickly printing a booklet from home for client proofing

If you can't print a booklet at home, you aren't trying very hard. Yes, Apple messed things up by disabling the PDF printer in Snow Leopard, and no, printing to PDF from Print Booklet probably wasn't quite as convenient as the Make Booklet plugin for PM, but the forum is full of advice on how to do a booklet proof from ID using quite a variety of methods, depending on your needs, equipment, and sophistication. I wouldn't go back to PM by choice for anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010

Oh, gee, no more backsliding to the old PM. Just the stuff that made my life easier. Yes, thanks I have work arounds. Or should I say MORE work arounds. LOL. Thanks for all the input... off to soccer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood/understand.

I've been through this mill so many times, that I've a bad habit of dismissing other's problems with a somewhat arrogant 'been there, done that' 'tude.

But the truth often hurts and experience, as usual, the best arbiter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010,

Yes, : )

Understood/understand.

I've been through this mill so many times, that I've a bad habit of dismissing other's problems with a somewhat arrogant 'been there, done that' 'tude.

But the truth often hurts and experience, as usual, the best arbiter.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, but mine is based on fact. Yours? I have no idea where it's coming from.

I don't remember PM saving back more than one version. Quark can only save back one version. InDesign can only save back one version. What's the difference?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy for SOME people on SOME very simple layouts but it just isn't possible.

If it was the conspiracy you claim, it would be true for every other Adobe product as well.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010

Please share how to save back in ID -- I still can't get it to work....

Indeed, but mine is based on fact. Yours? I have no idea where it's coming from.

I don't remember PM saving back more than one version. Quark can only save back one version. InDesign can only save back one version. What's the difference?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy for SOME people on SOME very simple layouts but it just isn't possible.

If it was the conspiracy you claim, it would be true for every other Adobe product as well.

Bob

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS2 to CS4 Export to INX

CS5 Export to IDML

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Nov 6, 2010

I know, I know that's what everyone says... still doesn't work for the pressman... They do have to upgrade...

CS2 to CS4 Export to INX

CS5 Export to IDML

Bob

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For PRESS? That's just flat out foolish!

Send a PDF! Not good enough for the printer? Find another one.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

K.Eddy wrote:

On Nov 6, 2010

Please share how to save back in ID -- I still can't get it to work....

CS2, 3 or 4: File > Export > Interchange format (.inx).

CS5: File > Export > .idml.

Earlier versions must be full patched to the last "compatibility update" patch which would have been iisued just after the new version was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can just hear the ghost of Emily Litella saying "Nevermind"

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines