Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign best photo workflow

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit of newbie here learning indesign...

I am trying to sort out a workflow for using indesign. Currently i have iphoto for organizing photos but is a mess. Can be handy long term. I also have light room and google photos all too much, too many programs. 

Is the best way just to set up bridge to look after camera imports then simply use folders for photos using an a-z. The more programs the more work...the more to file delete etc...

I just want one simple workflow to work with indesign and photoshop...

Any suggestions appreciated. I currently have 8k photos taking up 33gb on iphoto....

Thanks a lot...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CathalMcCarthy wrote:

Bit of newbie here learning indesign...

I just want one simple workflow to work with indesign and photoshop...

Is your question about InDesign or Photoshop? We can move your post to the InDesign forum.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign workflow thanks --
With best wishes,

Cathal Mc Carthy

[ Link removed by Moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CathalMcCarthy 

I've moved your post to the InDesign forum.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CathalMcCarthy , iPhoto does not work well with Adobe apps—use either Bridge or Lightroom.

I prefer Bridge for its simplicity, and you can drag and drop image formats from Bridge to InDesign. If you are shooting RAW, you’ll have to convert them into an image format before placing in InDesign. Placing RAW files in InDesign can be scripted, this thread includes a script link:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/dng-format/m-p/12862574#M472544

Also, this for integrating Bridge and InDesign:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/mini-bridge-und-cc-2022/m-p/12696832#M462333

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great 👍 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One little bit of advice regarding file-naming: 

If it incorporates dates make sure to name YYYYMMDD (with or without separations) so ordering by name would automatically reflect the timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip. Save regularly, incrementally and, in addition to locally, save copies externally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CathalMcCarthy wrote:

Is the best way just to set up bridge to look after camera imports then simply use folders for photos using an a-z.

Because it hasn't been mentioned, Adobe Bridge shows you all the files that are on your hard drive, including Adobe, Microsoft, Apple, folders, et cetera. You can right-click an image in InDesign and Reveal in Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer or in Adobe Bridge. In addition to dragging one or more images from Bridge to InDesign to properly place them as linked images, you can also drag from Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer.

I also prefer Bridge because of the all the other features Bridge has: workspaces, metadata panel, preview, collections, rankings, filters, batch rename, and more, but I pop into Finder when it's more convenient there. It's two parts of the same file management system.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in case nobody else notes it - since you say your photos use 33gb on iPhoto -- don't forget backups!! Some web sites say that if it's on a cloud you don't need a backup, but that's like saying that because your windows have locks you won't bother closing the door...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree. I need to export everything out of iPhoto back up to ext Hd. I put 95 pic into Lightroom took up 3 gb??  So 100 go will not go far...
What is best option for cloud back up when using indesign and photoshop etc... 

adobe 

google pics

iphoto 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge acts like an extended Finder, so the camera file sizes remain unchanged. It also sees other formats like .ai and .pdf, which you might need to place. It probably isn’t practical to backup a large edited photo library, which could be multiple terabytes, to a cloud service. Something like Apple’s Time Machine, or Retrospect will do incremental backups to local drives.

For live ongoing work I save everything to my Creative Cloud Files folder, which automatically backs up to the cloud (100gb). You could do the same with Dropbox—$100 per year gets you 1terabyte.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox is $120/year for 2 terrabytes. OneDrive is also an excellent solution and include 6 individual users with a Microsoft 365 account with each user getting 1 terrabyte.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that is good information about being able to locate and see all file types for assets. 
Will back up locally and consider one drive or drop box as I have to purchase ms word for work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to your head-swimming, lol, in additional to cloud backup, I copy everything to external drives. Western Digital (no affiliation) sells 2 TB portable (Passport Ultra) drives for around $80.00/US. I'm also a long-time Bridge fan. Workflow questions are always great, and I love to hear how everyone approaches it, so thanks for asking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain Do you set up an a-z photo folder on desktop then use time machine to back up? Guess 8 k photos is not too much these days... 

Do you go for SSd or regular external drives ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had both over the years, depending on what I'm doing. The SSD drives are more expensive. If shooting out in the field or on location, absolutely, I take an external SSD. Mostly for the faster speeds (and durability). Otherwise, with lots of redundancy, so far, I've never lost or had any corrupted files, knock on wood. I don't use synchronized cloud backups anymore, because the connections were either slowing me down or getting interrupted at the worst times. Windows 10 has a built-in customizable file backup tool, File History, that monitors changes for backed up files. I organize everything by project, with sub-folders. Once a project is done, I copy everything to one (or more) of my cloud accounts (plus I send the entire folder zipped to the clients). Hope that's helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines