• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign cannot open indd files

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to open an InDesign file I get this error: "Can't open filename. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign and still have the same problem. I have restarted my MacBook Pro. Nothing helps.

Of course I'm a designer on a tight deadline. HELP!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us the InDesign version and OS version that were used to create the files, and what you have now? Are they on you local HD, or on a server/removable drive? What is the file size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mac OS 12.2.1 and Creative Cloud InDesign 17.1

We use Teams, which I believe may be the problem, it has corrupted some jpg files as well.

One of the files is 1.4 MB, no graphics or photos, just straight text.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems likely that you are trying to open a file that was saved in a newer version of InDesign than you currently have. Whover supplied the file should save as IDML. Better yet, have them package the file, along with all links. THey can include and IDML file in the package, which you can open and then save as a readable InDesign file. Features in the newer version, if used, will be lost. This is usually not an issue.

You could post the InDesign file here and someone can save as IDML for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott, I created the files Friday and today, and they won't open, and now I'm having the same problem with PDF files. Because I had PDF'd one of the files, I thought oh, I can open the PDF and copy the text and paste it into a new InDesign file and start over, but I can't open the PDF files either. It's SO weird! I'm using the same version of InDesign today that I used on Friday 😉

Thanks!
Jules

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doubtful. That would generate a warning about the version being too new to open.

This sounds more like a file that's in a Dropbox or other cloud folder that has a smart sync feature enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines