Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign cannot start

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I am experienced Indesign user (Creative Suite 6) from 2013, but without any extrenal knowledge

At the momment I cannot start Indesign, no matter if I start cliking its icon or clicking Indesign file

Program starts, works till it shows "finishing initialization" and Indesign terminates

My problems started when I was working on one of my projects and I clicked on the right side bar to move to another page. Program suddenly terminated and from that moment it was not possible to start work with it any way.

I even cleared my system from all adobe products, checked it with detailed antivirus scan, cleared window registry and installed CS6 again. All application except Indesign work properly...

Can anyone help me to fix it?

Adobe proposed me to switch to Creative Cloud which is not so cheap as I need Indesign for one day each month and the CS6 version which licence was paid with substantial amount of money has much more features tha I need

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marek,

what's your operating system?

The key here would be to install it on an old machine with an operating system from 2012 or 2013.

Even if you could that machine with that operating system: You cannot get updates anymore for the basic istallation of InDesign CS6 version 8.0.0.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx

I am working on Windows 10

I will try to manage some machine with old Windows, 7 or 8 and use it as the dedicated only for Indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it ever work on Windows 10? Did you run the clean script to remove the programs before reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it worked on Win10

I performed "uninstall" by windows, cleared disc of temporary files and cleared registry (not manuallay, but only with cccleaner)

While I checked many posts here, I think that some configuration or temporary Adobe file is left in some deep pocket of the system which was not disabled during cleaning and reinstalling 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is not actually supported for Windows 10. It may well be that up until now you have been running CS6 successfully but it sounds possible that what has happened is that Windows 10 ran one of its automatic updates. Microsoft has announced that their OS will keep the name Windows 10 going forward. But because of the updates it sends out automatically for most users the Windows 10 that is currently in use has evolved quite a bit from earlier versions. As a result users of unsupported versions of InDesign may find that the latest OS update has rendered their version possibly unusable. You can try running in Windows 7 compatibility mode or, as you say, find an old PC with Windows 7 or 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up a new Win10 build 19041 machne this past week and installed ID, PS, AI, Bridge and Acrobat X from the CS6 master collection. Haven't done any "real" work yet, but all except acrobat seem to work as expected. Acrobat starts, but closes after after a few moments.

I would run the cleaner tool and reinstall for starters. if that fails, you might do what I am considering, add a virtual machine running Windows 7 where you can install and run CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, have you tried running under Win 7 compatibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the next step, but I haven't figured out how to do that with an installed program, so I think I need to re-run setup first to remove Acrobat, and again in compatibilty mode to re-install it. Does that sound right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK,, and this may help the OP as well...

Running  in compatibilty mode did not solve my Acrobat problem, HOWEVER, downloading and installing the last patch from Adobe seems to have done the trick. It's hard to get, though. You have to access the Adobe ftp server and the Adobe update pages no longer have the links. I got there through Pro Design Tools which still has some links posted that work. For Acrobat you can access the updates through this page: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/?mv=affiliate&mv2=red

Poking around some more in ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/ I also found the updates for Photoshop, but nothing for InDesign or Illustrator any longer. I "updated" those manually myself by copying the program files from my already updated installs on an old Win7 box.

Needless to say I'm going to be keeping backup copies of all this stuff...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you mentioned the "windows registry", I'm assuming you are on the Windows OS. Ideally, you are only Windows 7, which was the OS version when CS6 was available. However, I'm also assuming you are on Windows 10. (You can delay but you can't turn off the OS updates for Windows 10, so it is probably your OS is too new)

Try right-clicking on the InDesign.exe file and set compatibility mode under Properties.

image.png

Another thing to try is using the Adobe CC Cleaner (it works with all Adobe software, not just CC). It does a better job of uninstalling the software when troubleshooting.

My rule #1 when using old software: If you want to use old software, don't upgrade your OS. You can't have a modern OS running old software and expect it to work indefinitely. CS6 came out 18 years ago and hasn't been sold for 9 years. If you amortize the cost over 9-18 years, you certainly got your money's worth out of the software.

However, I understand not wanting to take on a $53 cost for once a month (or just InDesign for $21/month). You may want to check out another page-layout program such as Affinity Publisher. 

Addendum: Wow--sorry for the duplication of info. A lot of answers appeared while I was typing mine!

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines