• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2019 on a tablet / mini laptop

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently use Id, Ps and Ai on a MacBook Pro for putting together my 84-page print publication. As I am planning a long trip away from home, I'd prefer not to have to carry the extra 3kg that all that technology entails.

While I know there are apps for most of the Ps and Ai functionality (at least the bits that I mostly use) I'm not sure about Id. I am aware that Adobe Comp can do page layouts, but that doesn't appear to allow for multiple pages, which is obviously necessary when laying out text for multiple page articles.

I think I could go the MacBook Air route, but even that is a little on the heavy side - I am carrying my pack EVERY DAY so every 100g counts!

So, my question is: What is the smallest, lightest equipment that you are succesfully running these three apps on?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything smaller/lighter would require you to move to Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy yo consider that. What are your experiences and suggestions, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The choices are too many to mention but I’m quite happy with my HP Spectre x360.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, that is what I am looking for - recommendations based on personal experience rather than the sales talk.

Are you using all three of the programmes - Id, Ps, Ai?

Just had a quick look: at 2.17kg, the 15.6" is a non-starter; and the 13" is actually heavier than the MacBook Air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the Surface devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, MUCH lighter, thank you! So how about your usage, for print publication?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My HP has 16GB RAM, an 8th gen i7 and 500GB SSD. It's quite fast and I love the entire ecosystem with a touch / Windows Ink capable display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bob--Microsoft Surface computers are really nice. I have a 16 GB RAM/1 TB drive model and it can run anything my MacBook Pro can.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks IDEAS-Training,

Have you personally used your HP Surface Pro with the full functionality of CC 2019 Id, Ps and Ai, to create a print publication - not just as an add on for some tasks that you then return to a 'real' machine to finish off on?

Sounds like I'm banging on, b ut it is imprtant to understand that it will be my ONLY platform, I won't have the luxury of using a laptop or desktop at some stage.

Cheers, Lynda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynda,

Two years on from your query, I'm wondering if you can say how you got on? I am also thinking of getting a tablet that I'd need to use Indesign and Photoshop on. Do you have any advice for me? Thanks!

Gavin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gavin

Apologies for taking aso long to reply - I didn't spot your comment until today! I'm still working on the Macbook Pro as I'm not yet in true 'travel' mode - and who knows when I will be able to resume that lifestyle!

Cheers, Lynda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you revisit this... be aware that things have changed and Some Surface devices and some others now run " Windows on ARM" and as of today you can't run those Adobe apps at all. This may change too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines