Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC 2020 new properties side panel

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Is it bug on my end or Indesign CC2020 new side properties panel > paragraph styles does not have right click option? I used it a lot on 'old panel', especially 'Apply next styles' which is huge time saver. Why is this disabled in new panel? Thanks! Picture below:

mirza_h_0-1589614040183.png

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

The Styles options are limited in the Properties panel. Many things you can do in the Paragraph Styles panel you cannot do in the Styles section of Properties. I would just open the Paragraph Styles and Character Styles panels and work there.

The Properties panel was only relatively recently added, and hasn't been filled out with all the features it should have. You can make a feature request at the InDesign User Voice website:

https://indesign.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

And to frame this for you—the new Properties panel is really geared towards a new user who is trying to figure out InDesign on their own. A new installation of InDesign will open up with a very limited set of panels including the new Properties panel. The commands that appear in there are the ones that a new user would most likely be looking for first. This approach is designed to not overwhelm a new user who could potentially give up without trying if they were initially faced with all (or even

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Styles options are limited in the Properties panel. Many things you can do in the Paragraph Styles panel you cannot do in the Styles section of Properties. I would just open the Paragraph Styles and Character Styles panels and work there.

The Properties panel was only relatively recently added, and hasn't been filled out with all the features it should have. You can make a feature request at the InDesign User Voice website:

https://indesign.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to frame this for you—the new Properties panel is really geared towards a new user who is trying to figure out InDesign on their own. A new installation of InDesign will open up with a very limited set of panels including the new Properties panel. The commands that appear in there are the ones that a new user would most likely be looking for first. This approach is designed to not overwhelm a new user who could potentially give up without trying if they were initially faced with all (or even a lot) of InDesign's myriad features. 

While I certainly explain how to use the new Properties panel in class, I don't use it at all when I'm working on my own. I rely on the Control Panel that has always appeared along the top of InDesign along with the other panels that support my workflow.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is showing some weird useless panel with like three half useful functions is going to help a new user?

Why would you not show them the normal work process, and instead give some useless panel with like three Microsoft Word level options, that does not include half the stuff people use in InDesign daily?

If I were a new user and all I saw is one panel with three functions that can not solve half my tasks, and to actually make use of the software I have to go and search the same properties windows again, but fully, I would not even go that far and just give it up as completely useless software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @m90583877:

I've explained the reasoning above, so I won't repeat it. This is a user-to-user forum—meaning we are users like you—so if you really can't stand seeing the Essentials workspace, you might consider posting a feature request on https://indesign.uservoice.com and request that it be removed. 

I will offer a gentle reminder that it takes about 2 seconds to change the workspace, and then you won't need to see the Properties panel again. 😊

~Barb

2022-01-16_18-07-22 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines