• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC 2021 Cannot copy necessary linked file(s)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been getting this pop - up in Indesign recently when trying to package my work, it says "InDesign cannot copy necessary linked file(s)", I checked every link and fonts to get everything in order and it continues to show me either that or the one that says that the fonts aren't right, I even erased and installed Indesign again, but it doesn't work, could you please tell me what to do please, I'm desesperate!!!!

Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

OK. Where are the linked files stored? Are they on your local system? On a local physical server? Somewhere in the cloud? And before trying to package the job, is the InDesign document file stored in the same place as the linked files?

I'm just trying to understand where things are located before you try packaging the document. Hopefully we can find some anomaly here we can fix and get you up and running smoothly again.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Everything is in the same folder in an external device..... you know what, I just moved everything to the Desktop... and it worked!!!, its strange I been working directly from the external device at it didn't show any issue before, and I try with the other files the same way, and it packages everything again

Sorry for the inconvenience, if it wasn't for you I could't have figured it out!!!!

Thank you very much!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you check your links panel, is there anything that shows a red stop sign (missing link) or a yellow triangle (link updated since it was placed) alongside elements you've placed into your InDesign document?

That'd be where I'd start figuring out the issue.

Please let us know what you find,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no sign at all, everything seems fine, and it isn't the only document that shows with the same issue, I've been working with 3 more in the same situation, and as you said I checked any red or yellow sign or any error that can ocur, even in the Package pop - up I checked everything again but it shows not error at all, I don't know what else to do 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Where are the linked files stored? Are they on your local system? On a local physical server? Somewhere in the cloud? And before trying to package the job, is the InDesign document file stored in the same place as the linked files?

I'm just trying to understand where things are located before you try packaging the document. Hopefully we can find some anomaly here we can fix and get you up and running smoothly again.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is in the same folder in an external device..... you know what, I just moved everything to the Desktop... and it worked!!!, its strange I been working directly from the external device at it didn't show any issue before, and I try with the other files the same way, and it packages everything again

Sorry for the inconvenience, if it wasn't for you I could't have figured it out!!!!

Thank you very much!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure. Glad I could lend a hand.

Can I ask a favor of you? Could you mark my response to your post as a correct answer? That alerts the moderators to set this thread aside and offer it in the "Related Conversations" section at the top right of the page for people who may have similar issues. This way, we can both help other users who find themselves in the same spot.

Glad you're back up and running,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, it helps a lot!!!!

Hope you have a nice day 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. One more thing you might want to check is the connection between your system and that external device.

If you're working from an external hard drive/SSD, only the smallest hiccup can cause interference as you're assembling the package. It could mean that your external device is on the way to giving up the ghost. But it's even more likely that you've got issues with the connection between the two devices — especially if you're powering the external device through the same connection you use to get data from it.

One of the truisms of the computer weenie business is "It's always the cable." Well, not always. But it happens so often that if I was troubleshooting, that'd be the place where I'd start.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did, and as you said, it had a connection problem, I tried packaging everything again from the external hard drive, and it worked!!!! I'll pay attention to every external device I use so it doesn't happen again

Thank You!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the luxury to move all the linked files to my desktop... the indd file is on an external hard drive and the files are in box. I've never had any issues packaging my indd files until this new 2021 update. Is there a fix coming soon for this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new update is 2022 and you've supplied zero details on your issue. That said, the typical issue is having a smart sync feature enabled which can cause a time out error in InDesign. Make sure that's turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. 2021 was a typo on my end. I meant the new 2022 version. 

My issue is very similar to the original post where when I try to package my InDesign files, I always get the "cannot copy necessary linked file(s)" error. I've pretty much had this issue with packaging since I updated to the new 2022 version. The fix noted in this thread was that she moved all her linked files to her desktop, which I cannot do. I work almost exclusively off an external hard drive, and then my work folders are in box. So links are from both of those locations. Has there been any other work around that doesn't require you to move all your linked files to your desktop to be able to successfully package my file? Because, as it stands, I can't package any of my files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please re-ready my reply with things to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem for the first time ever. This seems to be a bug. My links and file are all on my hard drvie no external hard drives involved here. So my question is... where do you find and desable the smart sync feature? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the dropbox settings in the synchronisation tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been getting the same pop-up since I installed the 2022 version. I'm working from an external hard disk, where the indesign file and links (dispersed over different older folders) are stored. I tried all the advices I could find on the web but nothing worked. In the end, I just moved the indesign file to my desktop and pushed the 'package' button: and it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines