• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC 2021 (v16.0) - Crashes when selecting any image/Link - Culprit: WORKSPACE

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the update to Indesign CC 2021 16.0, i found it no longer working. Not in my documents, and not in any newly created documents: The moment i select any image, or place an image it would crash to desktop.

I did the usual: trash presets, delete plugins (actually there were none, since the old CC2020 plugins are not allowed, i am fuming about this, but i digress), and reinstall.

After a fresh reinstall AND trashing of presets it worked. When i activated my latest WORKSPACE, it crashes again when selecting any image/link. If i use an older version of my workspaces or a default workspace it does not crash. 

kinds regards,

Stephan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

As you mention plug-ins and workspace: did one of the plug-ins eventually implement an own link info field for the link panel? Some versions ago I've seen a crash where one such field was set to showing in either the link list or details, then the panel configuration was exported to the workspace XML. As the field was not found any more due to a change in my plug-in, I got a crash.

Eventually you won't crash by hiding the links panel before you select the image. Back then I think I got a workspac

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said that you "trashed presets" but you didn't say anything about trashing your InDesign preference files. When you updated InDesign the first choice you're given during the install is to "Import previous settings and preferences". If you chose this option then there is a good chance that trashing preferences (which sets the program back to its defaults) might be of help. The option to save old preference files when installing the update has created problems for as long as the option has been available. Using preferences that were created for a different version of the program makes as much sense as putting tires from a Model "T" on to a Ferrari. They just don't fit right. Bringing the program to a "clean" state is the best chance in the long run for good performance.

To trash preferences:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so: On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you mention plug-ins and workspace: did one of the plug-ins eventually implement an own link info field for the link panel? Some versions ago I've seen a crash where one such field was set to showing in either the link list or details, then the panel configuration was exported to the workspace XML. As the field was not found any more due to a change in my plug-in, I got a crash.

Eventually you won't crash by hiding the links panel before you select the image. Back then I think I got a workspace usable by removing the references to the missing fields from the workspace XML - you need to know the field ID for that. It may be more feasible for you to rebuild the workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dirk, good idea, thanks. I agree that's very likely the cause. (Even though i can't remember the plugins i use to have anything embedded in the links panel). Of course it was not a big deal to rebuild my workspace from an earlier version. I was glad to have found the cause at all.

Thank you, Bill, for providing background info on prefs and settings for those who don't know.

So if somebody REALLY desperatly needs their exact workspace, know that you can edit the workspace files in a text-editor and perhaps find references to missing (plugin-)functions. (Of course that's risky and might create even more instability, if you don't know what you're doing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I have the same problem with InDesign freezing after I updated to the latest version as well as to Big Sur (I'm on a Mac). I've tried the deleting preferences trick but it only works temporarily. I realized that it would start freezing again after I had reset the workspace to my custom workspace. Something about setting it to this workspace causes the freezing. I tried creating a new custom workspace but the same problem keeps happening--InDesign starts to hang again and again. It's so frustrating because it now works but I have to manually set up all the palettes I use. Please help! Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines