• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC 2023 version 18.0 Files open as “Read Only”

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as updated, some files have started to open “Read Only” (RO)

My OS: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044  or 21H2

PC Desktop

I am working remotely through a VPN to a server IP address

I have Indesign 2023 18.0 , and Indesign CS6 installed. I have not opened the CS6 in years. Also noted: My machine does not automatically uninstall the former version when it updates. I manually uninstalled Indesign 2022 after I started using the 2023. At first I thought the RO problem was a conflict, so that was the first thing I did.

Older version files open up as “converted” ok

I am able to do all writing on my remote server, I can “save as”, and export files, create folders, delete files, ect.

If I copy a file that opens RO to my local desktop, I can then open it fine (read/write - RW). If I make changes to that file, save, and then copy it back to remote server, it will open as RO again.

This does not seem to be happening to every file. I started working on 2 files yesterday, opened and made changes, saved, and closed both multiple times in the morning, then a couple hours later, they opened RO. Then another hour later, one of them opened ok -RW.

I have a coworker that has the same PC OS Windows system version, and same Indesign version.  We both access to the files through same VPN, he is just not in same location as me (about 20 miles away). However, his system automatically uninstalled older versions when it updates. He can open the same files that open RO for me, and they open fine, RW, for him.

If I open a brand new blank file and I copy and paste all contents from a file that opened RO, then close the RO file and save my Untitled document over it, it will them open up ok when I go back immediately and open it. However, if I go back to open that file, say an hour later, It may or may not open up “Read Only” again.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Indesign 2023, and checking to make sure updated. I have unplugged (reset) my modem.

I cannot change my preferences for updates to uninstall older versions at this time as I have a graphics card issue with the latest version of Photoshop. I cannot go back to using Indesign 2022, as my cowerker has already been using 2023 for awhile and many files are converted

It seems to be intermittent, and almost like there is a problem with files not closing properly? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean by "working remotely through VPN" ?

Your local machine is just a terminal - or VPN connection is used for remote connection to a data server?

If the latter - then you should NEVER work like that. Copy all the data locally and use VPN connection to synchronise data - but then it's just a regular network server so what's the point of VPN? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Myself & co workers are having this same problem as above, random Read only files one minute & ok next. We are on a network & this has started on & off since the latest update. Is there a fix for this? Sometimes it is saying the file is already open when you save it & it is not actually showing a temporary idlk file as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a creative server that we access via a VPN connection. That server hosts our Indesign and art files. We open files and work on them directly through the connection, we do not save files onto our workstation. We also do not work on the same files at the same time. Does that help? I am continuing to have the problem, it seems to be random, as the other party has stated below. However, my coworker, who accesses the files in the same way from a different location is not having the issue. I put all other details above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is always a delay when you are accessing a file - if you work locally, it's minimal and you won't experience it too much - that's why we always try to buy faster drives 😉 HDD (miliseconds) -> SSD (microsesonds) -> RamDisk (nanoseconds) 😉

When you try to access remote drive - via local network - it's much slower and less reliable - if you try to access it via VPN - it's WAY WAY slower and less reliable - to the point when your system - or server - may think that the connection been lost after few seconds - or confirmation packets lost - and act accordingly.

If your coworker doesn't experience this problem - it may be because he is on a faster internet connection with less lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does make sense, my connection through VPN is slow (20 mbps download - 10 mbps upload) But, I have been working with this connection and at this same speed for 2+years, and never ran into this Read Only problem until immediatly after Indesign 2023 update. Do you think there is anything else to check? Thank you for time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like they've changed something in the latest version of InDesign / CC and - unfortunately - there is nothing you can do - unless you can buy faster internet connection - full fibre - or switch to work locally and use server over VPN just for storage.

But working remotely never was a good idea ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had an Adobe tech look at our computers, he went through & changed the Adobe permissions on the computers. Because this is random it was hard to see the problem but eventually he was able to, the problem is still happening but he did get me to save the same file to my desktop & it wasnt read only (this could be random though) but if he open the oringinal file through recent it would open ok. This is only happening on 3 of our 5 Graphics Computers, all on the same network. This is the reply below if it helps, I am about to contact IT & will let you know what the outcome is..

This email is in reference to the open case regarding read-only files in InDesign application. Organizations use many different network configurations. Each configuration requires specialized software and hardware, with varying set-ups, preferences, and updates. This additional layer of software and hardware can impact application performance. (For example, the amplitude of line noise, RF interference, or packet collisions are all factors that impact the reliability of the network.)

Technical Support strongly recommends working in Adobe Application directly on the local hard disk. To prevent data loss, save files to your hard disk first. Then transfer them to the network or removable drive in the Finder or in Windows Explorer. To retrieve files, copy them in the Finder or in Windows Explorer from the network or removable drive to your hard disk. You can then open the files in Adobe Application. This workflow avoids problems that occur when network system setups or removable media device drivers are incompatible with the operating system or Adobe Application.

As per our discussion, please contact your IT Team to reset the connectivity of the network drive 

Check with your network administrator to determine if there are any known issues with the network or if a network configuration (for example, updated drivers or changed access privileges) has been changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So exactly what I've said 😉 work locally - back up remotely 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in the IT Department and have a user with the same issue.  She only gets the issue when she is at home connected to the company VPN so that she can access the files on a company server.  Copying locally working on them and then copying back is a temp work around as the files are shared so really need to be kept on the server to prevent any missed changes from other users.  She has basic fibre at home and when over VPN getting around 30mbps down and 15mbps up which should be adequate but the larger the file the more this is to happen.   Does Adobe not have some way to change the boundaries again as this was working fine about 2 versions ago and no she is struggling to be able to do her job now 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry she is also having this issue. I am still dealing with it. I've noticed that what seems to be happening is that for larger Indesign files, when you open them, the lock file fails to be created and that is when it opens Read Only. I have also had files open fine all morning, and then open Read Only when I go back to them in afternoon, so possibly overall internet bandwidth usage must affect this too. My fellow worker is still not having the same issue, so what we are trying is to switch me to the same hardware he has (I have a bit older system in which I have had to stay at an older version of Photoshop because of my graphics card) and I will wire in a different way to my internet to increase connection speed in VPN as much as possible. I also want to avoid copying off and on server if possible. I'll report back whether this helps. From the research my husband had done on the subject, it seems that working on files through VPN as we ar doing is just not recommended or supported by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to change your workflow 😞

Network connection shouldn't be used for live editing of the files - it should be transactional system. 

And as I've mentioned in another reply - InDesign doesn't allow to open the same file by multiple users so what's the problem in copying just INDD file and synchronise Fonts & Links folders? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working remotely is never a good idea...

But what is the problem with copying files locally?

More than one person can't work on the same Indesign file at the same time - so you need some way of keeping tabs on who is working when on each file anyway.

And she doesn't need to copy locally ALL files every time - just INDD file and new / updated links & fonts.

Maybe you just need to change your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working remotely is a very common thing these days, this answer isn't helpful and diverts from the fact that this started happening after the 2023 update. We have 60+ staff working through a VPN all with varied internet speeds. They have been working like this for years.

Not only that we are getting this issue locally in our office every since the update. Users are accessing the local file share via a gigabit network and all files open in read only, if you close the file and re-open it 50% of the time it'll open normally and is currently our "workaround" If file opens in read-only close and re-open.

I am a sysadmin for a large architectual firm and this problem is update related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working remotely is one of the biggest causes of file corruption we see here on the forum. It might be a "common thing" these days, but it's not a good idea with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure I get that, but just blamming that striaght away isn't helpful especially when we aren't talking about corruption. We have this issue locally in our office for users that have updated, everyone still on 2022 are fine and can open from a file server without the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue working locally on our Network also, we dont work remotely & it isnt happening to all staff & is very random. Again has only started since updated last year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an update, I am still having issues, but have found a workflow change that seems to be a big help. If I use bridge to navigate to my Indesign files, and double click to open them from bridge, they have opened normally every time so far. Try this procedure and see if it helps your team. Luckily, the latest Bridge update seems to be very improved and much faster in navigation through it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know it's very convenient to work over the network - at the office or through VPN. 

Unfortunately, as you experienced already, latest update to the InDesign made it no longer so convenient. 

I'm not sure if it's on purpose or someone broke something - but InDesign doesn't support multiple users working on the same file at the same time - and it's also isn't safe... 

So from every angle and perspective - it's much safer to work locally - it's just a bit more copying before work and only a bit more at the end of the day - and you get extra backup in case something goes wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines