• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 9.2 - New Hyperlinks panel - Unresponsive, Slow, Crash

Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Theoretically the new Hyperlink panel is a good improvement. However, I work with files with several hundreds hyperlinks. Once I open the Hyperlinks panel in such a file, the InDesign program stops responding. I suspect the Hyperlink Check Service (to see if hyperlinks are active) is way too slow and does not scale well. Bug report is sent, but I wanted to know if anyone has the same problem.

This process should be a background process. It is not acceptable that the whole program becomes unresponsive because of a single-core being busy.

Sometimes the result of the check is faulty as well. The icon shows red, even if the hyperlink clearly works. This happens if the link does not end with a / in InDesign but it comes back like that in the browser, for example.

Thanks for reading and I hope this gets fixed soon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 100 Replies 100
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure, I’d at least issue a bug report. I did that already. But it sounds like yours is crippling (mine just churned away for a few minutes, so it was irritating not debilitating. This warrants letting them know about it in a big way. I’ve been leery of the idea of the Creative Cloud because I fear that software may be rushed. Too many updates, too many unexpected consequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I opened the offending chapter--took 20-30 to load. I then deleted the 3 red-condition (external URL) hyperlinks, leaving the other (40 or so external URL) intact. Tried to save the file, but after 90 minutes, I finally had to kill InDesign using Windows Task Manager. This morning, I reopened the chapter, it opened as a standard file, and not as a recovery file. The links that I had deleted, were still deleted.  Wow--the chapter loaded in a "zippy" 5 minutes--but it did load. What I find interesting is that when I then attempted to scroll my long list of hyperlinks (I have 100 or so text anchor hyperlinks), I can quickly scroll down to review, but when I scroll up, the scroll tool locks, as if validating/trying to figure out, the hyperlinks above.  Hmmm.  But this time, after a few more minutes, I was able to return to the top of the hyperlink list, and then quickly scroll all.  Based on my experience with this chapter, I believe that failed hyperlinks represent a serious problem in documents with many hyperlinks.  I have two other chapters that nearly have the same number of (green) external hyperlinks, they, too, are very slow to load---but they do load, leading me to conclude that there are performance issues with the software.  I reported the issue to Adobe.                 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, running ID2014 10.0.0.70build on a 2012 2.4ghz Core i7 MBP.

Only 52 links. I virtually non-responsive when I had red or bad links. After clearing out the links AND unblocking the "Link Autocheck", still VERY laggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share the file that you are facing the issue in.

Please mail the same at sharewithid@adobe.com

Thanks

Javed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Javed,

One thing that did work was to delete all hyperlinks (used and unused) and run the "Convert URLs to Hyperlinks" command. That seemed to clear up the bug. So it seems that it was an error introduced with an imported URL that cleared up when I deleted all.

Kevin Bruce

Founding Partner - Chief Design Officer

Musketeers.me

http://musketeers.me

Twitter: @kevinbruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Nice work--thanks for sharing.

As noted, I had 46 chapters that I created in an early version of ID, 3 that were exceptionally slow when I converted to ID-CC, 1 of which was non-responsive. Per your suggestion above, I took a look at the hyperlinks. Bingo! The problem with each of the 3 chapters is that in the translation, some/many/all of the external URL hyperlinks were converted to Shared Destination. When I was working with the 1 of the hyperlinks on that 1 chapter in question, it actually linked to the down-version of the original file.  So effectively, the poor response time was a function of CC "calling" a completely different chapter.  Since I have about 50 URLs that were converted to Shared Destination in a different ID file, I can see where there would be performance problems.  I deleted all of the hyperlinks, recreated, and the performance problems were eliminated.

What is interesting to me is that I don't think I had any "translation/conversion" issues with at 43 out of the 46 chapters.  I don't have the time right now to review all so I sampled, and all seemed fine.  When I reviewed 1 of the 3 problematic chapters, I saw were some of the links had copied over correctly, some hadn't. 

I am in the final steps of validating my entire book, so I may have more to share with the community, and with Javed down the road.

Thanks again, re-keying is a pain, but not nearly as tedious as being stuck, Bill   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Javed,

My file size for that chapter is close to 30MB (lots of photos), so I

don't know of an easy way to send that to you via email. I did put some

notes on the user forum last night--briefly, it appears that when I

moved to Indesign CC, for 3 chapters out of 46, some of the hyperlinks

got changed from URL to shared, with the shared link being the original

source file. So, in the case of the 1 chapter that had the most

hyperlinks, it was attempting to "read" around 50 hyperlinks from a

different (the original) file. I re-did all the hyperlinks and

everything now works correctly.

It seems like there may be a "bug" in translating hyperlinks from the

old to the new Indesign. I cannot explain why I had no trouble with 43

out of the 46 chapters--other than the 3 that do have performance issues

related to the hyperlink being changed to shared, are 3 of my largest

chapters. But I had no problems with my 2nd largest chapter, so I am

not sure...

If I uncover any additional information, I will post it in the

community, and send you an email.

Thank you for your follow-up, Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the slowness when the Shared Hyperlink is in another file is one that we are aware of and have been working on it.

Regarding the translation, i am not sure how you translated it, but i suppose you just opened the file in the newer version. Suppose you have 2 files file 1 and file 2. File 1 has hyperlinks in it which are shared destination from File 2.

Now you opened File 1 in the newer CC and saved it, it still points to the File 2 of the older version. Now even after you open File 2 in newer version of  CC and save it the FIle 1 still points to older File 2 and not the newer one. This is one thing that is like this from quite some time. Maybe the reason that this is being seen so now so prominently is due to the slowness of the hyperlinks panel.

One workaround for the time being could be if you could change all the shared Hyperlinks to there unshared versions before converting to a newer version.

And yes thank you for sending across the files.

Regards

Javed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a known issue for MONTHS!!! And still no adequate response from Adobe. This BUG renders the program completely UNUSABLE! It is not an option to "change the links" to unshared because it can take an HOUR to open a file that has been corrupted with this BUG.

I cannot work like this and I'm sick and tired of the excuses. I pay RENT to Adobe every month for programs that work. Three releases have come out since this was reported. You're the landlord now. Fix the damn leak!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I have just updated to Indesign CC 2014, and am working on a 'saved as' document from CS6.

I've finally managed to get it to open the hyperlinks panel (ID was going 'unresponsive') by opening a different document with no hyperlinks and turning off the checking.

I also turned off preflight as some of those profiles can include link checking (eg digital publishing).

Luckily I can still create hyperlinks from the text using my keyboard shortcut, but I can't edit them without the whole thing becoming unusable.

It's REALLY annoying, as one of the main reasons I upgraded was because I was having a lot of trouble with hyperlinks, the way CS6 did them was just painful. This is a little better, but still...!!

Btw I don't really understand why a 'shared' url is an option (why would you want to use it, and why is it selected by default?) and why it causes problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converted documents can often do strange things. I generally advocate that files be exported to .idml and opening that in the new version for conversion, but if you've already done significant work it's worth trying even after conversion. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. The concern is though, what am I going to lose doing this conversion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest version of CC (not 2014 - not everyone in my studio has upgraded yet) and suddenly started having this problem yesterday. I would click on the hyperlinks panel (tucked in amongst my set of panels) and get the spinning pinwheel. I had to force quit the program. Reopened, click the hyperlinks panel, spinning pinwheel. It was late in the day so I shutdown and left. Start up this morning, open InDesign, open my file from Finder (not recovered), click on hyperlinks panel, spinning pinwheel. This time I timed it whilst reading this forum thread - 15 minutes just to get the hyperlinks panel to come to the foreground and the program to be responsive again. So I followed the suggestion above and deleted every hyperlink and recreated them with "shared destination" unticked. Seems to be working for the moment.

But I agree, this is a problem. I will report it as a bug.

Thanks to everyone above for investigating and sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been suffering the slowness for a while but today it just started crashing InDesign every time I try to access the Hyperlinks panel. EVEN with NO document open!

So frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too - I need to finish a document and the client is furious and of course thinks it's my own incompetence. Seriously Adobe, we don't want stupid extra features, we just want the software to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, sorry, didn't see the link to the patch, it works now - thank you Adobe.

InDesign CC 2017 crashes on macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say it's the funnest bug when you're a mere 30 minutes away from a 60-page, $30M Tender Submission deadline and your Hovering Director wants to add a video link to the last page.

Me: "Hooray last page!"

- opens empty Hyperlinks panel -

- spinning wheel -

- spinning wheel -

Me: "Hmmm. This has never happened before." (total cliche)

Me: "Honestly I'm so sorry, I don't know what's going on." (second cliche)

- spinning wheel -

Me: "Oh god."

- survival mode kicks in and I push colleagues off their own computers, start duplicating and hope for the best -

Without time to think, troubleshoot, Google or read forums, this glitch could be quite detrimental.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we're a graphic studio with three and we're all experiencing the same problem... once we need to start working with hyperlinks it becomes a real nightmare...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been experiencing this problem, which brings my workflow to a halt as soon as I open the hyperlinks panel in the most recent and up-to-date version of indesign CC. I expect a professional response from adobe since anyone with an up-to-date indesign CC and many hyperlinks will also be experiencing this problem. We expect an answer adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I apologise for the inconvenience that you all are facing. This is indeed a bad experience and we are working on improving the experience. The problem is not yet resolved though.

Let me elaborate on the issue a little more:

1. By default when we create a new Hyperlink the new Hyperlink created points to a Shared Hyperlink Destination. A shared destination is like a variable holding address to which the Hyperlink finally points to. So the structure is like Hyperlink --->> Hyperlink Destination -->> Hyperlink address (the URL, email address etc).
  2. Some actions, such as copy and paste copy only the Hyperlink but NOT the Hyperlink destination to the new document, so what happens is that the destination exists in the older document and the Hyperlink itself exists in the newer document.
  3. This problem existed before the Hyperlink Panel changes but got exposed due to the new changes made to improve the Hyperlink experience.
  4. What happens is, to check the status of the Hyperlinks whether they still are valid or not InDesign needs to check the Hyperlink destination to get the actual Hyperlink URL\File\Email etc so it needs to open that document where the Hyperlink Destination resides and it is this opening and closing of the documents that causes the performance lag (the file opening action happens in the background hence you may not see it).

How can we avoid it (till the bug gets fixed):

Have the Hyperlinks point to destinations that exist in the same document or do not use the Hyperlink Destination altogether and make all the Hyperlinks un-shared such that they directly point to the URL.

If there are only a few hyperlinks concerned this may be an easy task but in cases where there are many this is a problematic task.

I have made a script that does the same for you. the script loops across all the Hyperlinks and for each hyperlink first checks whether its destination exists in a different document, if so it saves all attributes of the Hyperlink (its destination, style etc) and re-creates the hyperlink, now pointing to the URL directly rather then via Hyperlink Destination. Please note that this works only for Hyperlinks that are of URL type.

Please do take a back-up of the document and first try out the script and once you find things to be fine then only move on to it.

curDoc = app.activeDocument

allHyperlinks = curDoc.hyperlinks

var counter = 0

for(i=0;i<allHyperlinks.length; i++)

{

theHyperlink = allHyperlinks

try

{

if(theHyperlink.destination.parent.name != curDoc.name)

{

//storing the properties of the Hyperlinks

src = theHyperlink.source; 

dest = theHyperlink.destination; 

name = theHyperlink.name;

borderStyle = theHyperlink.borderStyle;

bdrColor = theHyperlink.borderColor;

bdrhighight = theHyperlink.highlight;

bdrWidth = theHyperlink.width;

bdrVisible = theHyperlink.visible;

srcText = src.sourceText; 

srcStyle = src.appliedCharacterStyle;

destURL = dest.destinationURL; 

destHidden = dest.hidden; 

destName = dest.name +  Math.random().toString(); 

//removing the hyperlink

theHyperlink.remove();

//Creating the new hyperlink

dest = curDoc.hyperlinkURLDestinations.add( destURL, {name: destName || Math.random().toString(), hidden: true} ); 

src.remove();

src = curDoc.hyperlinkTextSources.add (srcText); 

//applying the properties to the newly created hyperlink

theHyperlink = curDoc.hyperlinks.add(src, dest); 

theHyperlink.name = name;

theHyperlink.borderStyle = borderStyle;

theHyperlink.borderColor = bdrColor;

theHyperlink.highlight = bdrhighight ;

theHyperlink.width = bdrWidth;

src.appliedCharacterStyle = srcStyle;

theHyperlink.visible = bdrVisible;

counter++;

}

}

catch(e)

{}

}

alert ("changed " + counter + " hyperlinks and made them point to non-shared destinations")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohammed,

thanks a lot for the reply.
Is there a place where we can download the script?

Thanks a lot,

Wouter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wouter,

I had posted this script here assuming that people could simply copy paste this to a jsx file and use it.

I have now also posted the same on makeHyperlinksDestinationComeToSameDocument.jsx - Google Drive

You can download it from here.

Thanks & Regards

Javed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Javed,

thank you very much for the quick reply !! Great service

Thanks a lot,

Wouter Rummens

European Service Network

Design & Print Department

Galerie Ravensteingalerij, 4 | 1000 Brussels | Belgium

Tel.: +32 2 639 02 71

http://www.esn.eu<http://www.esn.eu/>

De : Mohammad Javed Ali <forums_noreply@adobe.com<mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>>

Répondre à : "jive-264496499-1ji0k-2-43bz3@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com<mailto:jive-264496499-1ji0k-2-43bz3@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com>" <jive-264496499-1ji0k-2-43bz3@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com<mailto:jive-264496499-1ji0k-2-43bz3@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com>>

Date : Tuesday 28 October 2014 07:12

À : Wouter Rummens <Wouter.Rummens@esn.eu<mailto:Wouter.Rummens@esn.eu>>

Objet : InDesign CC 9.2 - New Hyperlinks panel - Unresponsive, Slow, Crash

Re: InDesign CC 9.2 - New Hyperlinks panel - Unresponsive, Slow, Crash

created by Mohammad Javed Ali<https://forums.adobe.com/people/MohammadJavedAli> in InDesign - View the full discussion<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6873951#6873951>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you run this script? Do I have to reference it is some HTML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so what are those of us who are NOT programmers supposed to do? I don't know how to install scripts, and I would appreciate instructions on how to install or run it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines