• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC - exporting artwork with low res linked CS6 Illustrtors files

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recently upgraded to Creative Cloud and as we are submitting files for profeesional print, these are coming back saying that that our logo, which was originaly designed in Illustrator CS6 is under 240dpi?

Our logo is linked to the original Illustrator CS6 file and never had this problem until creating artwork using InDesign CC. Tried opening and saving the original .ai CS6 into .ai CC to see if that would make a diffrence but the printer keeps rejecting our files. Is there a setting or compatibility issue that we are not aware off?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuel,

I do not think that the logo itself is the issue.

It's the drop shadow that is flagged as low resolution.

Which would be no reason at all to reject the print job.

I could tell this for sure if you make the exported PDF available.

At least that one page. Could you put in on Dropbox or a similar service so that I can have a look?

FWIW: There are some tricks to increase the resolution of the drop shadow if it is applied with InDesign.

But more on this after I had a look and did some tests…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course a sample first would be great. But sounds like it's an illustrator with a drop shadow. 

The log itself at 240ppi wouldn't be an issue - never mind the drop shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I think you're right about the drop shadow, however we never had a problem with this when using CS6.

Here is a Dropbox link with the artwork supplied to the printer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1klzb6ku8s9x1v4/Moduplay%20Advert_The%20Bursar%20Magazine.pdf?dl=0

The way around this was creating a TIFF file in Photoshop and placed this in the artwork. Printer finally accepted this.

Looking forward to your response. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I think you're right about the drop shadow, however we never had a problem with this when using CS6.

Here is a Dropbox link with the artwork supplied to the printer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1klzb6ku8s9x1v4/Moduplay%20Advert_The%20Bursar%20Magazine.pdf?dl=0

The way around this was creating a TIFF file in Photoshop and placed this in the artwork. Printer finally accepted this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @manuel_moduplay

I checked your file - it was perfectly fine. 

Creating a TIFF and placing that - I can only say is the wrong thing to do - and your printer should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyway - it worked, it's printed small enough, the quality will be fine in print. But really should try bring up the dropshadow effect resolution.

How did you create the dropshadow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dropshadow was created as a standard Dropshadow Style. Image reference attached.

Thanks for the advise. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your printer is an idiot. Find a new one.

Pure prepress monkey.

If they can't discern these issues then find a proper real printer that can handle files properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This crossed my mind, although this a printer from a magazine we advertise on. So not much of a choice in here unfortunately. Thanks Eugene!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caught me on an off day - I've come across people like this for 25 years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuel,

looked into your provided PDF.

How did you do the drop shadow?

Did you place the AI file of the logo in InDesign without the drop shadow and then add the effect to that placed graphic?

I guess, yes. Then we could possibly do a PDF Export preset that will set the resolution of the drop shadow to a higher value than 240 ( which by itself is totally ok for printing! )

Important:

For doing tests in this direction we need the PDF Export joboptions file you are using to write the PDF for that magazine.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, the dropshadow is already a style effect of the Illustrator file. See image attached. As mentioned previosuly, I never had this problem working with InDesign CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The drop shadow would be a raster effect in Illustrator.

To check the raster settings of your file, open the vector in Illustrator.

Go to Effect > Document Raster Effects Settings

Check what resolution the raster effects are and increase them for the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines