• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC Library: Graphic vs Text options?

Participant ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been trying to utilze InDesign CC Libraries to store and reuse infographics and body content. Curious if anyone has some best practices tips when it comes to adding them, I see there are 'graphic' or 'text' options when adding.

The content appears the same when opening to inspect but the text frames are either fit to size on the graphic or full frame on the text option. Other difference I notice is that when placing from the library the 'text' option can be placed as linked or as a copy. Text as an option is only available for one text frame...

The graphic version placed only as a copy (... seems backwards). Updating from CC Library is working great 🙂

Here's the question! 😉
Both options don't carry over paragraph or character styles?

1. When applying styles from the original document or creating new styles and re-saving they still don't stick? 
  2. When dropping into a doc with the original style names they work perfectly 😃
    **Including updating the graphics when the original font library is changed completely...

I'm not finding much in depth info online. I'd love to hear any tips/tricks, resources etc. while building out this huge catalog.  Cheers!

TOPICS
How to , Sync and storage , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign does retain paragraph and character styles when saving to CC Libraries. There's some information missing here but looking at your screenshots, there's no indication that the character or paragraph style isn't applied. We'd need to see a screen shot of your Character/Paragraph styles panel to know for sure. What the second screen shot does show is a missing font. I'm assuming this is a new document? If your original document is using Document Fonts, this behavior would make sense. Try saving your new file into the same folder as the old file and close it and re-open. That may yield better results for you since it can now access the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chad. The new document is actually just double clicking into the asset in the library when trying to update it.

It does retain the style listing but that missing font you noticed is in reference to the 'Basic Paragraph' style that the other fonts are based on for high level consistency. The font is still loaded on the system but it's defaulting to Minion Pro and erasing all of the specs for some reason...? Does that make sense? 

If I update the 'Basic Paragraph' style in the asset manually or by applying styles from that original source document they won't save...? 

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm. Now I'm thinking using 'basic paragraph' was causing the issue. When I repalced with 'based on nothing' they seem to maintain the style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines