• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC won't package my files

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC won't pacakge my graphic files with the following error; "Cannot copy necessary linked file(s).

I have recenly upgraded to CC version of InDesign, using InCopy text files, have never expreienced any issues with packaging before.

I also tried saving back to InDesign CS6 and opening in that version, also with the same error.

Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appriiciated.

regards

Peter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Check your links from links panel, there might be images with "/" in the filename. eg. photo/image.jpg or any invalid characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain, franana. Are you also working on a server? Is it Windows based?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am HollyRF, working from a MAC on a Windows server. This never happened before so it's clearly something they've changed in the latest version?

I spoke with Adobe on live chat today and they simply told me to stop using the server and save all 12000 images on my local computer instead. This is not business friendly, and not what you pay a monthly fee for!

Hopefully somebody up in Adobe HQ is listening to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They told me the SAME thing. What is the point of having a server, if you can't use it? Insanity! I also have thousands and thousands of files and images saved to the server. For the record, Adobe support was completely useless. Clearly had zero knowledge about the actual programs and were using some sort of manual to find answer and read them back to me. I don't know what you have to do to talk to a person who actually knows what they are talking about, but calling support was a total waste of time for me.

Let me know if you have any breakthroughs! There have to be other people having this issue...

I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh it is frustrating! I'm sure they're telling people that spiel all day, everyday. The result was that the support guy could not help me which is completely useless.

I have to say that copying the links manually (as long as it took, it wouldn't do them all in one go!) did save my bacon.

I did find that when the document was in 'fast view' (where all the images are just grey boxes) the links copied more often without a fault. I haven't yet tried this when packaging the document but I will do. It's worth a go, anything is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting about the "fast view" find. I will try that next time I'm making a PDF or packaging and see if it helps.

Have you also been having problems when trying to open files? I've had a situation where I double-click to open an InDesign file on the server, and it says I don't have permission or the file is already open. Then I try to copy the file to my desktop, and get the same message. And then I try to open it again on the server, and it opens with no problem. SO random. And SO frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

YES I had this problem for a long time!! Then I figured out what caused it.

It happens when you the file has a preview in the finder (the slideshow view). Change it to the 'list' style view which doesn't show any thumbnails and it should open/save no problem! At least this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way! That's it? I will give it a try! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about everyone else, but my problems seem to be much better. I'm wondering if the last Adobe update addressed some of the issues. Anyone else seeing improvement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a InDesign CC 2014 tryout and this wonderful software won't make any package! After the contact information form nothing, absolutely nothing happens. There are not even images in my file, only fonts.

No I am not working on a server, I am working on iMac running Yosemite.

Next week I have to teach a small class about how to make an EPUBs from a classical catalogue. How can I do if they want to pack all their work…?

This thing is driving me mad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! I have solved my issue resetting preferences that InDesign CC 2014 had automatically copied from previous version.

Now is working perfectly.

To reset preferences on a Mac:

1) press cmd+alt+ctrl+shit

2) launch the app

3) click yes when prompted to reset/cancel prefs

I hope it will work for everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, your solution worked for me. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having difficulties packaging a large document, Indesign CC. After reading I have double checked all of my linked file names, make outlines of questionable fonts, copied to my desktop off the server, and am still not able to package. Anyone? Have advice?

forgot to mention

Cannot copy necessary font(s)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why making Outlines? Unless you  want to use them as image frame or as graphics it is a no go in InDesign. Never outline text in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only made outlines of a script font used in a couple of areas, thinking that might be the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outlining fonts wold make no difference to the packaging process, nor would restricted fonts prevent packaging the rest. Did you check everything mentioned previously in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest to reset preferences first of all. Then try to export only the doc and the images, just to be sure it's not a bug.

Also check for "leftovers", that is to say random stuff abandoned outside the visible area of your document, abandoned levels and so on. Once I had a problem with an abandoned image which remained somewhat trapped outside the overall area of the document: now I can't access it and I receive a warning for a missing image every time I open the doc. Not a big issue, because I don't need it. But still this is very annoying.

Check for things, boxes and so on you may have copied from other programs, like Freehand, especially if they are text boxes. Sometimes they can cause unexpected problems. Better having a linked, external file.

Then - last option - split your documents in parts and re-try to export: you should be able to understand more easily where the problem is.

Please note: InDesign will NOT outline fonts in grouped boxes. To outline them select everything in page with the white arrow, then make outline (this way you will not loose the groups).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea. All my issues seemed to fix themselves after an update about 4 weeks ago. Are you current on all your updates? Also, do you have any sort of weird fonts you're working with? A font that is licensed? Sometimes some of those freeware fonts won't let you make a PDF even after outlining. Other times it just warns you about the font, but still makes the PDF. Also, like others have mentioned, try resetting your preferences. You may also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the above worked for me.

It turned out that in my File Info, I had recorded the name of the file with a character that couldn't be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok tks- i will check... i have many images int eh doc so it is a nightmare finding all that are in with haste...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The packaging wasn't working for me either, but when I unchecked the box "Include PDF Print" in the Save screen it packaged fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had a glitch in that there was a random “box” outside the pages and a file that was not in the correct format- thank you for getting back to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just had the same problem after trashing IDD 5.5 prefs because of a problem with rulers, and couldn't package. Turns out a file name had a /. Brilliant. Limping along until CC upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and it was caused by image links to Encrypted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lpda-dmacdougall  wrote

I had the same problem and it was caused by image links to Encrypted files.

Hi lpda-dmacdougall ,

interesting! Did not know that one can place encrypted files (whatever that means?!) on a page.

Can you give more details about that issue?

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have solved the issue by embedding the link of the photo from Cc library in the link panel ( right click).

Good luck all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines