Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign (CC2019) permission issue when opening any InDesign files on macOS

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Experts,

We have some issue where our team having an intermittent issue when opening an InDesign's files, they're doing their workflow via server,
the issues was everytime they tries to open a file, they will receive the following error "you may not have permission or the document may be open already", but it will work again on the 2nd attempt, when it closed and re-open, it won't open again, and so on...

The problem is happened only on inDesign files and on the network, not other files, and this happens to all users (around 6 users), this actually also working perfectly fine before,

what i have done so far, was clear preferences and caches folders multiple times, but obviously, it didn't help.

any solution for this highly appreciated!

Cheers!

InDesign version: CC2019 (v.14.0.3)

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed response. There could be multiple reasons why you are getting these errors. We have limitations for server support (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-lost-network-connection.html ), but here are a few steps which you may try:

1. Shift the files to different folder on server location (after taking a local backup) and then try opening the file from and share your observations.

2. If that doesn't help, follow these steps to provide Read-Write permissions to InDesign preferences folders:

• Go to Terminal (Go > Utilities > Terminal.app)
  • Execute the following command on terminal to provide permission:
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi srishtib8795206,

Thanks for your reply, 

i've tried what you have been suggested, but seems the issue still persist,

please see attached screenshots.

indesign error3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue, only since i've updated to the latest InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also having the same problem. Its so frustrating. Mine happens when Im trying to open a document. I am the only one in the company that works on a mac, everyone else is on a PC. Our server is a PC server I think. Ive worked here for over 7yrs and the proplem started about 5-6 months ago,probably when I did an update. So when I open a file (and its doesnt always happen) but this error pops up. So I ok it, then try and open it again and its fine and will open. So if it opens it the 2nd time why why it open it the first time. Its tine consuming and annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an answer for you since I work alone and am unfamiliar with PC servers. However, if you get no answer, you'll get more responses if you create a new thread about your issue rather than tacking on the end of one that is several years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

Thanks for replying. How do I create a new post.? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the world of trying to work from a Mac accessing a Windows server! Seriously though, this is not a new or original issue, this has been around for decades. The main issue at hand is the Mac OS - it doesnt matter if you are connecting via SMB of AFP, the Finder application hoardes connections on an external source and buggers up permissions.

There are several things you can do to mitigate but never fully solve the issue:

• Turn off Preview Column (in view options).
  • Never use quick preview (hit the space bar to view a doc).
  • Don't combine several items in to a folder using Mac function "New Folder with Selection" on the server.

The ultimate solution as much as people dislike is to drag the document and all related links local and work local. Then save and drag the edited assets back to the server.

We moved to a DAM system 6 years ago and have not looked back. It allows both Mac and Windows users unfettered access to the documents but the key is it downloads the files (and links) local to edit and checks them back into the system when done. It even has plugins for Creative Cloud to speed up production.

That is the best possible solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

Thanks for replying and offering up some solutions. I will try these and see how I get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a PC and accessing files via DropBox. The MAC users have no problem accessing the same files that I get the error while trying to open. Is there no other solution than dragging files and links to my desktop to work? Like others, this problem just started for me yesterday (2/1/23)

I tried changing my permissions in Windows and I was already allowed access to everything, so that wasn't the issue. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jane24214780pm13 The specific issue with dropbox is the sync interferes with the temp files created in InDesign. The idlk files shouldnt be synced.

Like others, the issue has been around since the dawn of (insert storage choice here). Changing permissions wont fix this - for Dropbox you can disable the live syncing, edit and then sync after you've saved and closed the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@kevinstohlmeyer I don't know that it is necessarily a syncing issue with Dropbox. We have been doing the same thing as far as accessing multiple files between multiple users (MAC/PC) and have never had a problem until now. Files that were saved hours ago and closed are still not able to be opened by me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines