• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CJK on M1 Mac freezes on Ventura 13.2

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my M1 Macbook Pro to Ventura 13.2, and now when I open InDesign (CJK 18.1) it beachballs and freezes every time. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, used the Adobe cleaner tool, tried various versions (and beta), and all have the same issue. I can open the program, but if I try to make a new document it's a blank window and then freezes. I assume it's a compatibility issue with the latest version of MacOS Ventura, but I don't want to reinstall OS and I didn't have a time machine backup. 

If anyone knows a fix, I'd really appreciate it. 

 

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 16.06.25.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

In case anyone was wondering, there was no diagnosable fix to the issue, and I ended up creating a bootable external hard drive with a clean instance of Ventura 13.2 and only installed InDesign 18.1 to test if it worked in isolation. It worked great on the external hard drive, so it was most likely caused by a background task of some other program I had installed that was affected by the 13.2 update. I couldn't figure out what specific program was causing the crashes, so I ended up factory reset

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try restoring your InDesign preferences. Quit the application. Launch and IMMEDIATELY hold down Cmd  + Shift + Option + Ctrl keys. Confirm you want to delete preferences. Reinstalling doesn't delete preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't get the prompt about deleting preferences, you're not fast enough. Instead, use these longer instructions about restoring preferences and caches:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

My computer has almost the exact same specs as you except I'm not running CJK (I'm running Ventura 3.2 with no problems). Somehow I doubt the update to Ventura 3.2 would cause a language-specific bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I've tried clearing preferences and cache and unfortunately still not working. I'm not using any plugins either, so I still don't know what it could be. I wonder if I have another software running in the background that could be interfering? 

If it's any more help, the home screen is taking a lot longer than usual to load i.e. stays blank for around 30 seconds before it becomes the usual "new document" window, but then will beach ball and I need to force quit.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I've: 

• Uninstalled/reinstalled ID 18.1
  • Uninstalled with cleaner tool and reinstalled
  • Tried legacy/beta versions
  • Tried non-CJK i.e. English version 
  • Cleared all preferences and cache
  • Granted full disk access
  • Uninstalled CC completely and reinstalled everything
  • Tried safe boot mode
  • Created a new user with admin access

Adobe customer chat suggested I speak to Apple. I don't think I really have anything else left to try at this point besides removing Ventura entirely and starting fresh with Monterey. If anyone else has something I'm not considering, I'd love suggestions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone was wondering, there was no diagnosable fix to the issue, and I ended up creating a bootable external hard drive with a clean instance of Ventura 13.2 and only installed InDesign 18.1 to test if it worked in isolation. It worked great on the external hard drive, so it was most likely caused by a background task of some other program I had installed that was affected by the 13.2 update. I couldn't figure out what specific program was causing the crashes, so I ended up factory resetting my computer and starting from scratch. Works fine now even though I had to reinstall everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you solved your problem? I had same issue in my Macbook Intel with macOs Ventura 13.2 and I downgraded it to 13.1 wich is working perfectly. I received today a new software upgrade to 13.2.1 but I have still not upgraded it because I don't know if the problem continues on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I couldn't find a fix, I'd recommend keeping 13.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for respond me. You may recomend to try 13.2.1? Or keep stay with 13.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you updated to macOS 13.2.1? I have same issue and I downgraded to macos 13.1 to solve it. But I don't know if upgrading to macos 13.2.1 will solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines