• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign constantly crashing in Big Sur

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I eagerly upgraded to Big Sur as I had a new computer and a new OS seemed fitting. I am now regretting as Indesign and Illustrator are constantly crashing. Has anybody else experienced this and are there any know fixes (other than refreshing the Indesign preferences). Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

For any of those who read this thread I fixed the problem by turning OFF the GPU Performance in the preferences and it seems to have solved the problem. I was leterally having the spinning beach ball after I did anything and lots of crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of - but I haven't upgraded to Big Sur just yet.

I see a few others from a quick search.

Try resetting your preferences 

Using a keyboard shortcut:
  1. (Windows) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files. ...
  2. (Mac OS) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Option+Command+Control. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

If still not working try the CC Cleaner tool. https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for that but its doesnt work in the long term. I have already tried refreshing the preferences a couple of times. I was wondering if there were other fixes. I will try the CC Cleaner tool though so thanks for that link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes - be handy to know what version of InDesign

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/macos-big-sur-compatibility.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene is right (great, I hadn't seen this tech note!)

Only InDesign 2021 (16.0+) has been tested with Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent one. 2021 and 16.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly do not like to update my operating system so close to the updates of Adobe, I find it a bad mix. I usually hold off on the operating system until around March. I agree that resetting your preferences may help and though using the latest version of Adobe may not be the best way to handle the situation. If 2021 is not working, then try adding version 2020 which may be more stable. (I keep two versions of Adobe on my system when updating in case I need to use the earlier version so this is just a process of mine that has served me well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea having the older Indesign. I will give that a go. I normally also wait for a while before upgrading OS but I got carried away.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed Big Sur and InDesign 2021 (16.0.1) in a MacBook Air with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For any of those who read this thread I fixed the problem by turning OFF the GPU Performance in the preferences and it seems to have solved the problem. I was leterally having the spinning beach ball after I did anything and lots of crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KateStuart: Yes, turning off GPU performance works for me as a temporary fix - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not had a single crash since turning off GPU in Indesign. Have a MacBook Air M1 - Big Sur - with ext. screen. Before turning off GPU - loads of crashes. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to turn off the GPU performance outside of Indesign ? It's not letting me launch the app on big sur. Just keep crashing  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Big Sur problem with constantly crashing InDesign is not solved by installing the new InDesign 2021 or removing prefs or turning off the GPU, – is the only solution is to erase the hard desk and go back to the earlier version Catalina?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I think you could be right. The problem was solved for me it the short term but not 100%. I still get the spinning beach ball of hell especially in big documents, but not as often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have uninstalled InDesign 2021 and reinstalled 2020, it seems to work for the time being with Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that - do documents work backwards though - if you create in 2021 can you still open in 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, save as IDML then you can open in 2020 🙂 A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try setting up a new user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines