• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Could not complete your request because of a database error iMac/macbook

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Im getting this message when openning my very important file:

Could not complete your request because of a database error

Its a simple text file with about 20 pages.

I really cant loose the data. How to open it please?

MacOS Monterey 12.4, iMac M1 2021, the same on Macbook Air

Thank you 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the InDesign forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs, installation issues, or account issues such as subscription questions or billing problems, or generalized questions about Creative Cloud services.

* Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.
* Installation questions should be posted in the Download & Install community.
* Account issues, including subscription questions or billing problems, should be posted in the Account, Payment, & Plan community.
* Questions about the Creative Cloud desktop app or general questions about apps in the Creative Cloud should be posted to the Creative Cloud Services community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all does the file have the proper InDesign suffix of .indd as part of it's name? This message usually happens with a corrupted file. You can try some of the suggestions in the following two posts https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/error-while-opening-indesign-files-quot-unable-t... and https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/could-not-complete-your-request-because-of-a-dat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it has .indd name. I dont know why the file would get corrupted, it was always working well and nothing changed. Thank you, will read the posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any recent changes to your system since the last time you opened this file?

If Indesign is working normally with other files I would try Kasyan's recovery tool: INDDRecovery — a program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you. No changes to system were made. I tried the link but couldnt get through, then after search I found Kasyan's tool for Windows only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to go out for a few hours, but when I get back I can try running the tool here for you if you like. There is of course no guarantee it will work. I'll send you a private message with instructions for dending me the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No joy, I'm afraid. Kasyan's tool cannot read the file, maybe because the tool is quite old, but I suspect it has to do wit the damage to the file. I tied opening in version 16 and letting the online conversion engine make an .idml fiole, but that fialed as well, at 33% complete. You still have a couple of options.

For free you can send the file to Adobe and let them try to fix it: idfile@adobe.com

For a fee you can send it Markzware and see what they can do: https://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

Now for the lecture...

Bad things happen. It's never convenient. You need to get into the habit of doing a Save As periodically to a new name to preserve an archived copy of an older version in case something goes wrong.

In addition to my daily data backup done with drive imaging software I save a new "version" of all InDesign files each time I open one for editing. I keep the same base filename, but ad some sort of version number so I can see the chain. This also allows me to go back to any point in time in a project when the client decides mid-stream that they like the version from two weeks ago better and could we tweak that a bit.

End of lecture...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you much for your trying. 

I sent it now to adobe email. Hope it helps.

To saving versions... With the load of work I have as a designer, I cant do this extra saving with document. I pay each month not small price for software and I believe it will work well. I have a back up, but saving manually is with my job sorry but impossible. 

Thank you very much for your help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes less than a minute to save a new version. How long to recreate a month's work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Work of a designer includes creating and working with about 100 new files each day. Maybe the official documents make sense to have backed up in previous versions that is true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines